Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesHomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Please Register On Our New Forums
All post counts will be trasfered, please re-register with your current username. 
This forum will be shut down soon!
Any posts made on this forum from now on will not be taken with us to the new forums!

Containing the flats is easy

Go down 
+7
MiamiXCanes
Modrewgnu
Madden's Finest 200
o Cpt ViDeO o
Bruce Wayne
EggzOverEazy
aFanOntheField
11 posters
AuthorMessage
aFanOntheField
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-03-21

Containing the flats is easy Empty
PostSubject: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-03-21, 13:53

Whichever playbook you use will have many plays that contain the flats. Cover2 and cover3 zones and zone blitzes offer several options.

The key to containing the flats, because stopping anything or everything isn't feasable, is shifting your defense, lining your guys up in the proper spot and possessing a little user skill.

Even the vanilla cover3 plays can contain flat routes -- if you know which side the ball is going to. Simply shift your LBers to that side. Of course we're talking about containment so this concept ( vanilla C3 ) may or may not work. Luckily you have, at your disposal, several looks outta C2 and C3 which can be found in every single formation.

Nickle C3 is designed to cover a wider field of play, whereas 4-3 C3 is designed to cover a more narrower field of play. understanding this, we can now attack flat route abusers. Even those that roll their QB to the side they wish to attack, with a RB in short flat routes and a TE coming over the top can be stopped with a little imagination and the implementation of your entire playbook.

I don't hot route defenders to flat zones or DE contains, because those plays are already in your arsnal. I simply read the offense. Of course after 1 or 2 series, most of the time your opponent has already ran his best plays, so by this time, you should be aware of his gameplan.

This post is very vague, but there is enough info in here for anyone to begin to gain a grip of containing the flats.

Here's a tip for flat out stopping GL offtackle runners. Choose Nickle normal then select the very first play, I beleive it's C2 man. In the GL there are 3 TE's, 1 on one side and 2 on the other. If the 2 TE's are on the right, flip the play so your NB is over the 2 TE's. User the outside LBer and attack the RB. This works against 1 receiver, 2 TE sets as well -- if they are running. If they have a TE on each side of the line, simply shift your line to the opposite side of your NB. If both TE's are on one side, put your NB over top of them, by flipping the play or keeping it the same. DO NOT manually grab your NB, just flip the play or not. All Day No Way!!!!!

My XBL GT is aFanonthefield. I play with the Bengals exclusively and use their PB's...well recently I switched to Tenn's D for the 4-4, however I rarely even use this formation, but was having some trouble with short routes, so I figured I needed something better suited for that. I run a 4-3 defense and give up about 16 pts a game over my last 50 or so, against the best opponents I can find, with the lowest DNF%. I don't nano or use any gimmicks, however I do not care what my opponent does because, as I understand my defense, I will find something to contain your offense, can you contain mine?
Back to top Go down
EggzOverEazy
Administrator
Administrator
EggzOverEazy

Number of posts : 3158
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-03-21, 13:57

wow, awesome post man. very good stuff.

obviously flat routes have been a pain this year, so everything helps. good s***.
Back to top Go down
Bruce Wayne
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-03-21, 14:36

so u say just shift the flat zones to that side...the only covr. that i kno of that contain the flats lyk it should is dollar
Back to top Go down
o Cpt ViDeO o
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
o Cpt ViDeO o

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-03-21, 19:23

We have a video that helps with defending the flats check it out here
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mdott360
aFanOntheField
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-03-21, 19:34

If you are in a base 3-4 C3 and your opponent likes to throw to the flats on the left, either shift your LBers to that side or flip the play and shift your backers to that side. Same thing if he likes to throw to the right. I wouldn't do this everytime. I like to mix it up. Show him C2's, Man's and blitzes with the flats covered. It may not be perfectly covered but you'll see a difference and should be able to build from it.

Shading your LBers to one side or the other will allow them to be on top of the play and contain it to a minimum. Be mindful of what your doing though because an astute player can exploit these shifts.
Back to top Go down
Madden's Finest 200
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-03-21, 19:40

i'm sorry, but that won't work. Just shifting the LBs over to that side doesn't work. Also, if you are in a 3-4 D. any GOOD player will exploit it.
Back to top Go down
Modrewgnu
Administrator
Administrator
Modrewgnu

Number of posts : 3253
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-03-21, 19:50

I'm da ish in madden wrote:
i'm sorry, but that won't work. Just shifting the LBs over to that side doesn't work. Also, if you are in a 3-4 D. any GOOD player will exploit it.

This will work against a lot of madden players. Against really good players, nothing will really work consitently. It is a helpful post. thanks man
Back to top Go down
http://www.forum.madden-school.com
aFanOntheField
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-03-21, 20:02

Like I said originally, you have to have some user skill. The shift alone will not automatically work, nor should you use this approach exclusively, but it does work towards containing the play. I don't use a 3-4 but most do, although lately I have been seeing more 4-3 defenses. Anyway I have absolutely zero trouble containing flat routes. I mean sometimes I get burnt, mostly it's a 2 or 3 yard gain though. If the QB drops back too far it will be a completion for a loss of yards.
Back to top Go down
Madden's Finest 200
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-03-21, 20:44

i wish you were on PS3 because i'm the flat king king lol!
Back to top Go down
MiamiXCanes
Madden Writers
Madden Writers

Number of posts : 1661
Registration date : 2009-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-03-21, 20:48

yeah bro im with ish on this one. i tried it, exactly as you said and it didnt work. the flats are so broken this year so im not ragging on you or anything. if it works for you then im happy for you. aside from the play ish told me about or usering the flats themselves then i havent found anything that works
Back to top Go down
aFanOntheField
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-03-21, 21:01

Well it works for me. just trying to help. Maybe it works because of my defensive scheme or maybe I'm not quite clear enough. Seriously, except for C4 plays, all I do is shift my LBers and or flip the play, not randomly mind you, but accordingly. It allows me to defend the flats and contain the play to a minimum gain. It's not failproof, but I have enough success with it that i thought I'd try to help. I rarely throw to the flats so I wouldn't know how most attempt to defend it.
Back to top Go down
Zx_DMC_DHB_TD_xZ
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member
Zx_DMC_DHB_TD_xZ

Number of posts : 919
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-03-22, 00:36

if u use the43 D THEN CHECKOUT MY NANOS
Back to top Go down
aFanOntheField
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-03-29, 21:42

Since making this thread, I have had some trouble containing the flats. So this theory i put forth has flaws and isn't something I'd suggest relying on. It still works sometimes but not like I implied, or maybe i've just played better skilled players, although i always play the best record i can find. Anyway the Dollar Strike play works really well, however astute players see this formation, know and exploit the holes. I suggest finding another play or two outta the dollar, expirement with disguises and the Strike play is even more effective.
Back to top Go down
XtremeWTRocker
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member
XtremeWTRocker

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-03-31, 23:41

flats are broken. not much to it. any good madden player should implement this to their game.

sometimes placing a DE or LB (depending on defense you are using) on QB contain can help. otherwise try spotlighting the RB when you are in a Cover 2/3 and placing another player such as an OLB on a buzz flat (purple zone). your middle may be more open but if you are reading this post, sounds like the middle of the field isnt your problem

also sometimes placing the MLB on a qb spy will help place another defender in the flats if the QB rolls out
Back to top Go down
aj_fitness1212
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2010-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-04-02, 01:45

are you running the 4-3 or the nickel when attempting to defend the flats.. if the nickel are you putting the corner on the strong side or weak side?? i usually user the big side of the field and move a backer or corner (depending on who is covering flats) out and back about 5 yds.. i then try to blow up the WR catching the ball..its a catch most of the time but only for a couple 3-4 yrds.. but u can get fumbles and tips sometimes which creates points.. its always a gamble but i figure the more plays my opponents offense has to run the more apt they will be to make a mistake....
Back to top Go down
XtremeWTRocker
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member
XtremeWTRocker

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-04-02, 02:25

The only problem with that aj is that usering the flats isn't the problem. Its when you are forced to cover other routes and the AI can't do something as simple as staying with the receiver.

Also, focusing way to much attention to the flats like that leads to holes in your defense down the field.

Your writeup is nice but may i make a suggestion? I think you might like this. Try using Nickel Cover 3.

1. Spread your LBs.
2. Place CBs in Buzz Flats
3. Place LB that is on a hook zone in a Spy

This will allow you to have the flats covered and you still get to try to hit stick the WR with the LB in a spy when the QB rolls out.

Now you can cover flat roues, swings, slant outs, outs, and the QB roll out all with your same setup.

Try it and let me know what you think. If it doesn't work let me know
Back to top Go down
Eagles Fan
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-04-02, 09:30

CONTAINING THE FLATS WITH THE 4-4 IS REALLY EASY SINCE YOU DONT NEED YOUR DES IN MOST BLITZ'S. YOU CAN PUT THEM IN FLAT ZONES AND YOU CAN NANO AND STILL HAVE GREAT COVERAGE.
Back to top Go down
aj_fitness1212
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-04-02, 11:06

sounds good extreme.. ill try it.. hey are you on PS3??
Back to top Go down
aj_fitness1212
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty2010-04-02, 11:13

hey extreme one question tho with ur last write up.. if you put ur corners in buzz zones and pressure doesnt get there, arent u suspect to the deep ball.. i no the cover the fade for a bit but then they release
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Containing the flats is easy   Containing the flats is easy Empty

Back to top Go down

Containing the flats is easy
Page 1 of 1