Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesHomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Please Register On Our New Forums
All post counts will be trasfered, please re-register with your current username. 
This forum will be shut down soon!
Any posts made on this forum from now on will not be taken with us to the new forums!

Stopping the Outside Run

Go down 
+5
so much swag
gfreak000
DaTBa1LHaWK
trill
jonnyboyz1
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jonnyboyz1
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-11-18

Stopping the Outside Run Empty
PostSubject: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-18, 14:00

I was playing my friend last night, and all he does is outside tosses with chris johnson. no matter what I run on D he still just smashes. every other play is an outside toss and it seems to be unstoppable. Also, when I have 1 on 1 and throw deep, INT, when he has 1 on 1 deep, Catch. I've been using Marshall and he is using Megatron. I'm getting pretty pissed off, lol
Back to top Go down
trill
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 17

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-18, 15:13

What defensive package do you run (3-4 or 4-3)? I had a really hard time stopping the outside run (without leaving the middle of the field wide open) until I switched from 4-3 to 3-4. 3-4 DE Contain is a good, safe play if you know your opponent is running to the outside. Your LB's should pick up the RB, follow him as he runs to the sideline, and make the tackle whenever he turns upfield. Keep in mind that it's gonna be pretty hard to shut down Chris Johnson no matter what you do, so concentrate on stopping the big play.

Throwing deep is all about timing and user catch, in my experience. If you chose the right play and are throwing into single coverage (especially to a big, fast receiver like Marshall), there should be a window where the WR gets some separation from the DB. Might wanna ask that one in the Offensive forum, they'll set you straight.
Back to top Go down
DaTBa1LHaWK
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
DaTBa1LHaWK

Number of posts : 1494
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-18, 17:09

u can send DEs in contain.. u will have a wayy better chance of stoppin a toss wit a DE contain than slanting the line out..
Back to top Go down
trill
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-18, 17:18

DaTBa1LHaWK wrote:
u can send DEs in contain.. u will have a wayy better chance of stoppin a toss wit a DE contain than slanting the line out..

True. If you do want to adjust stuff to counter the run, you should scissor your DL and LB's. That means shifting the DL in the direction the run is going, and shifting your LB's in the opposite direction.

If you run contain, you might wanna user select one of your LB's before the snap. That way you can react quickly if the offense runs up the middle - but watch out for play action.
Back to top Go down
DaTBa1LHaWK
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
DaTBa1LHaWK

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-18, 17:21

i run a 3-4 and send both DEs in contain and blitz both MLBs then try to time it using show blitz.. so it wont b as easy to run up the middle or run counters.. and if u time it right u can get a nano out of it and tackle the QB b4 he hands the ball off.. its worked for me so far.. ppl wil break a tackle or 2 and maybe get a long run, but rarely.. i use the same type of thing for wildcat.. i just send all LBs and spread dline along wit DE contain.. blown up in the backfield..
Back to top Go down
trill
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-18, 17:27

^That works against stuff like Quick Toss? I don't think another human player has tried that particular strategy against me, but I've burnt the computer plenty of times by pitching to the outside when they blitz middle. If you're running a set with a TE (as you should, at all times, against a 3-4), you just need your blocks to hold for a split second to get around the corner.
Back to top Go down
DaTBa1LHaWK
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
DaTBa1LHaWK

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-18, 19:22

yea the contains is what stops or slows down the outside runs and tosses.. i control the safety and keep them from gettin around the corner and takin it to the crib.. imma put it like this, usually u get stopped behind the line, very few yards or its gone cuz he broke a few tackles..
Back to top Go down
jonnyboyz1
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-18, 19:40

i was trying contain but it seemed like his whole team was all of a sudden blocking. the set he always sets up with is split backs. i'll try DE contain again, but it seemed like he always had way more blockers on the side than I had guys. he audibles into this toss very often. maybe i will try dime and blitz the 2 interior corners. that could be somethign to do to mix it up
Back to top Go down
gfreak000
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-28, 12:09

if you use the 4-3 4 package. find the play smoke mid zone and then bring your free safety up and reblitz him. if its a run it will be shut down and i it a pass the guy will have no time to throw. its a good surprise play. a throw to the flat and he might get a few yards if he gets the pass off
Back to top Go down
so much swag
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
so much swag

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-28, 12:21

crash the line to the side of the run then lurk with a safety or LB..good sh!t!
Back to top Go down
Akademiks
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-28, 12:33

Corner Blitz. Close thread.
Back to top Go down
xRideTheCannaBus36xx
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
xRideTheCannaBus36xx

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-28, 14:23

46 Bear: Outside blitz, de in contain, Nuff said. Also make sure the side with all the blitzers is on the side they are running to. Best Outside run stop in the game IMO

Also to make it even better lurk with ur safety or crash line to the side you think they are running (make SURE you are right) or you can get burned.
Back to top Go down
Akademiks
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-28, 16:40

there is so many ways.. pick a SS blitz or FS blitz.. then bring them safeties up between the CB's and the LOS.. bring them up right to the line.. like they about to be in BNR coverage even tho no one is there.. and they'll be int he backfield before dude even gets the ball and they will be coming head on.. be careful tho.. come backs can break those quick tackles outta the backfield.. and especially backs like AP.. u might give up a touchdown if u dont get that tackle.. cuz he's outty
Back to top Go down
Mcnair2Wycheck
Exclusive Member
Exclusive Member
Mcnair2Wycheck

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-28, 22:54

Crash out.
Back to top Go down
Skane3
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
Skane3

Number of posts : 360
Registration date : 2009-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty2009-11-29, 00:08

CRASH LINE OUT,SPREAD LINE AND LB'S.CONTAIN DE'S OF U KNO ITS A TOSS.OR NANO UP DA MIDDLE DEN CONATAIN ENDS.CHRIS JOHNSON IS HARD TO STOP NO WONDER WAT.JUS KEEP HIM N DA BACKFIELD AND TACKLE WELL.ONCE HE N OPEN NO WAY U GONNA GET EM UNLESS YUR OPPENET SHOWBOATS DEN FUBLES LOL.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stopping the Outside Run   Stopping the Outside Run Empty

Back to top Go down

Stopping the Outside Run
Page 1 of 1