Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesHomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Please Register On Our New Forums
All post counts will be trasfered, please re-register with your current username. 
This forum will be shut down soon!
Any posts made on this forum from now on will not be taken with us to the new forums!

help on calling plays on defense

Go down 
+5
raiderfan707
bigbuddah
ghostnote
Downtown YuckieBrown
SteelBucknut107
9 posters
AuthorMessage
SteelBucknut107
New MS Member
New MS Member
SteelBucknut107

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-08-17

help on calling plays on defense Empty
PostSubject: help on calling plays on defense   help on calling plays on defense Empty2009-09-14, 10:00

I've always used the ask madden option when calling defensive plays so i need help on knowing when to call plays such as when do i call zone defenses man to man blitzes of all kind and what formations to use.. i use the NYJ pb with the steelers if that helps. thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Downtown YuckieBrown
Madden School Veteran
Madden School Veteran
Downtown YuckieBrown

Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: help on calling plays on defense   help on calling plays on defense Empty2009-09-14, 18:54

knowing what plays to call is a judgement thing, based on how your opponent plays. what's his tendencies on 1st or 2nd? does he run more than pass? does he run the same plays more often?

start out the game kinda bland....34 cover 3....maybe a nickle cover 2. do this for a cpl of plays, adjust as down and distance does...lil more run heavy d/cover flats for shorter yardage, more zone(while your still getting to know them) for longer yardage). look at what personnel he's using...use the approriate def personnel.

get quicker on your presnap adjustments (work on it in practice)...cuz he's doing that to your def. learn what a flat zone is, a buzz zone, switching to man....

and just watch your opponent. he will have tendencies, learn what they are and anticipate....
Back to top Go down
ghostnote
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-11-23

PostSubject: Re: help on calling plays on defense   help on calling plays on defense Empty2009-09-15, 00:23

1st tip is never listen to what madden calls.like stevie said,,,start out with a base defense like cover 3 zone or cover 2 man which has 2 safeties over the top.most of all know ur personel and always mix it up.for me the best defense is a time consuming offense.running and short plays keeps the ball and chews the clock.this is the best way to dictate what ur oponent has to do.
Back to top Go down
bigbuddah
Legend MS Member
Legend MS Member
bigbuddah

Number of posts : 2949
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: help on calling plays on defense   help on calling plays on defense Empty2009-09-15, 01:02

[quote="SteviePotSmoker"]knowing what plays to call is a judgement thing, based on how your opponent plays. what's his tendencies on 1st or 2nd? does he run more than pass? does he run the same plays more often?

start out the game kinda bland....34 cover 3....maybe a nickle cover 2. do this for a cpl of plays, adjust as down and distance does...lil more run heavy d/cover flats for shorter yardage, more zone(while your still getting to know them) for longer yardage). look at what personnel he's using...use the approriate def personnel.

get quicker on your presnap adjustments (work on it in practice)...cuz he's doing that to your def. learn what a flat zone is, a buzz zone, switching to man....

and just watch your opponent. he will have tendencies, learn what they are and anticipate....[/quote

cant say it better than that really only thing i can add is football knowldege...football knowledge will help u kno wat to call...down and distance and personnel will keep the speed on the field the same so no mismatches...knowing your personnel helps also if u dont have a man coveage team then dont run man coverage and mix in blitzes specially on first and second down...down in distance u can bring a blitz as well caus your opponent is looking long.
Back to top Go down
raiderfan707
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-09-16

PostSubject: Re: help on calling plays on defense   help on calling plays on defense Empty2009-09-16, 01:53

if u wanna stop the passing game and sack the qb or make him drop the ball use NICKLE STRONG cover 2. heres how u run it

1.shift d-line left.
2.press coverage
3.blitz the cb thats in the slot
4.option: u dont have to do this but bring in the saftey closer to make zone coverage tighter.
(the cb thats blitzing has to be really fast like a 95 or higher.
this play covers the recievers pretty good and buys the blitzing cb more time. it should work. give a try and let me no wat u guys think about it.
Back to top Go down
D-Nice
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: help on calling plays on defense   help on calling plays on defense Empty2009-10-06, 19:10

I like that...Ima try that in practice mode.
Back to top Go down
roryaiks92
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
roryaiks92

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: help on calling plays on defense   help on calling plays on defense Empty2009-10-06, 19:56

raiderfan707 wrote:
if u wanna stop the passing game and sack the qb or make him drop the ball use NICKLE STRONG cover 2. heres how u run it

1.shift d-line left.
2.press coverage
3.blitz the cb thats in the slot
4.option: u dont have to do this but bring in the saftey closer to make zone coverage tighter.
(the cb thats blitzing has to be really fast like a 95 or higher.
this play covers the recievers pretty good and buys the blitzing cb more time. it should work. give a try and let me no wat u guys think about it.
yeah that looks like a solid play
Back to top Go down
Code//Blue
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member
Code//Blue

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: help on calling plays on defense   help on calling plays on defense Empty2009-10-07, 00:08

First, look at the formation your opponent comes out in. Wait at the play call screen until you see it. If you want to be good on D you HAVE to pick by formation. Then, after you see how many WRs, pick a formation that suits that. When picking by formation, if you're not going to make any presnap adjustments (i.e. setting up crazy blitzes becaus eit looks like you're not ready to do this yet.), then use this as a guideline.

1 WR - 46
2-3 WR's - 4-3, 3-4, Nickel
3 WRs - Can still use 4-3 and 3-4, but if you start getting burned on the pass move to a Nickel, Dime, or Dollar formation.
4-5 WRs - Again, you can still use the 4-3 and 3-4, but if you're not getting good pressure there will be pretty big holes in the defense. Try a Dime, Dollar, or Quarter set.

Adapt this to your playing style. For instance - since I have some good blitzes out of Dollar, I might run that against 3 WR sets.

As for when to call man and zone...

For you, come out in a stock Cover 3 or Cover 2. Find out his passing tendencies. If he likes to hit the flats come out in a Cover 2 with flats zones. If he likes to throw to the outside come out in a Cover 3. Learn which zones stop which routes and to what areas of the field.

I really only play man when I'm getting good pressure, because if the opponent has time for his routes too develop, you're gonna get burned.

Hope I helped.
Back to top Go down
so much swag
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
so much swag

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: help on calling plays on defense   help on calling plays on defense Empty2009-10-07, 00:12

what blue man said....... help on calling plays on defense 649595 help on calling plays on defense 649595
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help on calling plays on defense   help on calling plays on defense Empty

Back to top Go down

help on calling plays on defense
Page 1 of 1