Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesHomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Please Register On Our New Forums
All post counts will be trasfered, please re-register with your current username. 
This forum will be shut down soon!
Any posts made on this forum from now on will not be taken with us to the new forums!

Reading the offensive

Go down 
+4
brazil
roryaiks92
hof8231
Fodder007
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Fodder007
New MS Member
New MS Member
Fodder007

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Reading the offensive Empty
PostSubject: Reading the offensive   Reading the offensive Empty2009-08-24, 13:09

Being new to the sport, how do I try to read what the opponent is about to do when I'm on defence? I can see that players position themselves differently based on the play type but I really have no idea whether they're passing, rushing, left, right or middle, at the moment it's completely random to me! Also, what do the letters and numbers mean when I'm choosing a defence, is that to do with the offence my opponent has chosen?

All tips appreciated. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
hof8231
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member
hof8231

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Reading the offensive   Reading the offensive Empty2009-08-24, 16:55

If the offense is in shotgun (QB 5 yards or so behind center if you don't know), it's more often that not a pass. For runs, the side that has more players on it is USUALLY the side they'll run to, not always though. Here's something I usually go by to determine if they're passing or not.

1st and 10: usually a run, not always though, can be a short/middle range pass.

2nd and long: more often that not a pass because your opponent doesn't want to be stuck with a 3rd and long if they get no yardage on a run.

2nd and short: more often than not a run, however if you completely sell out on the run and your opponent throws a play action pass in, that can be deadly.

3rd and long: Pass
3rd and short: More often than not a pass. If it's 3rd and 1-3, a run can also be expected.

4th and long: Pass
4th and mid: Pass
4th and 1 or 2: run.

The offensive formation usually tells a lot about what they plan to do. If they have 3 or more WRs, a pass play is likely. If they have 2 TEs, 2 backs and 1 WR, expect a run or playaction pass.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Back to top Go down
roryaiks92
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
roryaiks92

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Reading the offensive   Reading the offensive Empty2009-08-24, 17:00

hof8231 wrote:
If the offense is in shotgun (QB 5 yards or so behind center if you don't know), it's more often that not a pass. For runs, the side that has more players on it is USUALLY the side they'll run to, not always though. Here's something I usually go by to determine if they're passing or not.

1st and 10: usually a run, not always though, can be a short/middle range pass.

2nd and long: more often that not a pass because your opponent doesn't want to be stuck with a 3rd and long if they get no yardage on a run.

2nd and short: more often than not a run, however if you completely sell out on the run and your opponent throws a play action pass in, that can be deadly.

3rd and long: Pass
3rd and short: More often than not a pass. If it's 3rd and 1-3, a run can also be expected.

4th and long: Pass
4th and mid: Pass
4th and 1 or 2: run.

The offensive formation usually tells a lot about what they plan to do. If they have 3 or more WRs, a pass play is likely. If they have 2 TEs, 2 backs and 1 WR, expect a run or playaction pass.

Hope this helps somewhat.
thats some good stuff!
Back to top Go down
brazil
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member
brazil

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Reading the offensive   Reading the offensive Empty2009-08-25, 20:45

Try watching his first drive, what plays he runs and who he likes to go to and what area of the field he likes to work. He will usually try and run those same type of plays again on his next drive. Only this time, you will be ready.

example 1. You noticed that he threw a lot to his slot receiver on his first drive.
So, for this drive you use the spot light feature on his slot receiver.

example 2. You noticed on the first drive that he ran play action on 2nd down several times.
So, this time you blitz on 2nd down.

example 3. You noticed on his first drive that he ran out of base formations and passed out of spread formations.
So, this time you pick run stopping plays when he comes out in a base formation and pass stopping plays when he comes out in a spread formation.
Back to top Go down
jsmall28
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Reading the offensive   Reading the offensive Empty2009-08-26, 12:06

do exactly what brazil said. observe your opponent for the first drive. if they score, it's not a huge deal if you can detect their gameplan. i might even advise having something ready so you can write down things you notice again and again or a certain play you get beat on, also write the formation (or set-up of the play) down so you can recognize it later in the game. then, you can go into practice mode with random plays picked, and see if you notice a pattern.
Back to top Go down
62YSailUnion
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member
62YSailUnion

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Reading the offensive   Reading the offensive Empty2009-08-26, 12:08

brazil wrote:
Try watching his first drive, what plays he runs and who he likes to go to and what area of the field he likes to work. He will usually try and run those same type of plays again on his next drive. Only this time, you will be ready.

example 1. You noticed that he threw a lot to his slot receiver on his first drive.
So, for this drive you use the spot light feature on his slot receiver.

example 2. You noticed on the first drive that he ran play action on 2nd down several times.
So, this time you blitz on 2nd down.

example 3. You noticed on his first drive that he ran out of base formations and passed out of spread formations.
So, this time you pick run stopping plays when he comes out in a base formation and pass stopping plays when he comes out in a spread formation.

What he said
Back to top Go down
Fodder007
New MS Member
New MS Member
Fodder007

PostSubject: Re: Reading the offensive   Reading the offensive Empty2009-08-26, 12:47

Thanks for the tips so far, very useful.

When I'm playing the AI it tells me how many WR they have etc, I'm guessing the more WR equals a wider play and more likely to pass, so when they have 3 or 4 WR I play a cover defence and if they have 1 WR I play a blitz defence. Does that sound about right? However, it doesn't appear to give you the same level of info when playing online, or is that just a function of the difficulty level thats set?
Back to top Go down
jsmall28
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Reading the offensive   Reading the offensive Empty2009-08-26, 12:51

it tells you that when you play online, you just have to wait for your opponent to pick their play. once they pick their play, you have 11 seconds to pick yours. just wait to see what play they pick before you pick your own.
Back to top Go down
boatrace76
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Reading the offensive   Reading the offensive Empty2009-08-28, 13:45

Yeah, u always want to wait for the opponent to pick his play while on def. This is a must. well said
Back to top Go down
Fodder007
New MS Member
New MS Member
Fodder007

PostSubject: Re: Reading the offensive   Reading the offensive Empty2009-08-29, 02:59

OK, so I've started to look more at what my opponent is doing before picking my defence. I now have the trouble that if he has say 4 WR and I pick a defence that covers the runs then his QB seems to have a very long time on the ball to choose his pass with my guys in the middle not being able to get to him. If I blitz I can get to the QB but then I don't have all the runs covered. Any tips for this?
Back to top Go down
Downtown YuckieBrown
Madden School Veteran
Madden School Veteran
Downtown YuckieBrown

Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Reading the offensive   Reading the offensive Empty2009-08-29, 07:48

Fodder007 wrote:
OK, so I've started to look more at what my opponent is doing before picking my defence. I now have the trouble that if he has say 4 WR and I pick a defence that covers the runs then his QB seems to have a very long time on the ball to choose his pass with my guys in the middle not being able to get to him. If I blitz I can get to the QB but then I don't have all the runs covered. Any tips for this?

make some preplay adjustments to your defensive linemen (pinch them in or spread them out, move them left or right. have them "crash" right or left..) , maybe put the weakside lb on a blitz

try different combo's of adjustments that work for you to put a little heat on the qb so he doesn't have all that time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading the offensive   Reading the offensive Empty

Back to top Go down

Reading the offensive
Page 1 of 1