Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesHomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Please Register On Our New Forums
All post counts will be trasfered, please re-register with your current username. 
This forum will be shut down soon!
Any posts made on this forum from now on will not be taken with us to the new forums!

is there even gap control defense in this game

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
crazyrocketfan
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-09-17

is there even gap control defense in this game Empty
PostSubject: is there even gap control defense in this game   is there even gap control defense in this game Empty2010-02-10, 23:29

madden been out for years and defenders dont even stay in there gaps. defensive ends never have outside contain and they look like they pass rush on everydown. lb dont ever stay in there gaps that is why some run plays are hard to stop. They need to make defense more realistic.
Back to top Go down
Mcnair2Wycheck
Exclusive Member
Exclusive Member
Mcnair2Wycheck

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: is there even gap control defense in this game   is there even gap control defense in this game Empty2010-02-13, 15:17

Hopefully they fix this up in 11. Even while 09 was still out I was saying that 11 is the year that they had better get everything right. 10 was a big improvement, now time to make the AI the overall main focus in 11.
Back to top Go down
huh1231
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
huh1231

Number of posts : 371
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: is there even gap control defense in this game   is there even gap control defense in this game Empty2010-02-13, 15:40

i mean i can kind of see some of wat your saying but i think they do a decent job with wat they can do technology wise. if u want the DEs to have outside contain u should put them in contain or fan them out. this year the contain isnt like last year where they just sit there on the outside; they just seem to take a wide angle. i understand what you want but at the same time i like having control of what my players do instead of have the computer decide. yes 1st down in a big formation screams run but wat if someone loves to pass out of this formation. if the computer adjusts and has the DEs play run in these situations then u dont get as effective of a pass rush and if u were smart you would pass because the player can't adjust.

the way they have it now, the DEs always pass rush right? so if someone likes to pass in a formation i leave them as they are. if i feel like they like running outside i put them on contain. this way i feel more in control of my players rather than the cpu saying hey it looks like a run situation lets play run. we would all try to take advantage of this and pass in known run situations to basically negate pass rusher like freeny or allen because they are playing the run based on the CPU and situation.

not saying it's perfect but from someone with an engineering degree they've done a decent job in balancing gameplay with realism.
Back to top Go down
Mcnair2Wycheck
Exclusive Member
Exclusive Member
Mcnair2Wycheck

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: is there even gap control defense in this game   is there even gap control defense in this game Empty2010-02-13, 15:44

The biggest problem is that the AI does not read and react to anything, the defensive players just do what they are originally told no matter how the play develops.
Back to top Go down
huh1231
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
huh1231

PostSubject: Re: is there even gap control defense in this game   is there even gap control defense in this game Empty2010-02-13, 17:42

i dont think that's true. i think they react well within the play but i think the problem is that they don't react to consecutive plays. like for example the safety will drop down to cover a deep in if your playing a cover 3 or a purple will play closer to the flats if theres a flat with no curl or deeper if theres a corner route. so in that sense i think they react fine within each play.

the problem comes in that they don't react play to play. for example if ur playing cover 3 the safety drops down to cover the deep in EVERY TIME which leaves the deep post open. or if u play regular coverage and theres a run play the LBs react the same way every single time. you'd think they'd take a step closer or ignore the deep in if they get burned by watever.

i'd like to see some adaptability but at the same time i'm torn with the idea of the computer making adjustments. i think it's the responsibility of the player to make the right adjustments. like this year we have to slide out the flat zones to get the them covered better. this separates the casual players to the hardcore players. we know how to make adjustments.
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: is there even gap control defense in this game   is there even gap control defense in this game Empty2010-02-13, 21:11

I don't think so.

If a nose tackle is assigned a zero technique he is to maintain both control of the center and be able to shed his block to cover the A gap on both sides of the center. This seems to work reasonably well in the game, but only because of the center maintaining control of the nose tackle not vise versa.

Now if you assign a DE a 4 technique in the game he will never maintain control of his gaps, but will simply rush the football. If you did this in a real game you would get smoked every down as the guard let's you through and you are in no mans land with the play going right by you.

This is what he means by a lot of run plays get abused. Especially in the goalline formation.

A good DE can control the guard and roll off or shed him as the run play goes to either side.

This is handled in the game environment by the power move ability. As soon as the ball is handed off then the computer changes from pass rush or Finesse Move to run or Power Move. But there should be a set of plays that specifically assign techniques like zero technique, and 4 or 4 shade technique etc...

The contain you are talking about is basically a 7 or 9 technique. Which is good but far from being enough.

But the only way to get everyone to stay at home is put both DEs in contain and put both MLBs in QB spy.

But what I do is DE contain then move the Will Backer in front of the Guard and user the Mike Backer. It isn't perfect but seems to be a little better at least for me.
Back to top Go down
huh1231
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
huh1231

PostSubject: Re: is there even gap control defense in this game   is there even gap control defense in this game Empty2010-02-13, 21:51

yea i mean if there were specific plays that assigned techniques for you to decide what they play i'd be all for it but if it was a situation where the CPU decided (aka "making the AI read and react" as stated above) i would struggle with that. if it was a play call where i can decide they're probably going to run so lets call this were we get solid gap control from DEs instead of rushing the passer then i'd be all for it.

the issue comes up in complexity. i've worked on some computer human physics models in school and the complexity of getting each linemen to have 4/5 different techniques is simply beyond the technology right now. I don't think the 360/ps3 (maybe ps3) processing can handle that many variables. I'm kind of just making this up since the madden engine is proprietary so no one knows much about it other than the ppl working on it so i could be wrong.

if it were something where you can hot route them into assignments then maybe that'd work. i can imagine a lot of cheesing/cheating by messing up the AI if u can manually hot route DLinemen to certain techniques. this would be a ****** to balance out the issues but if they got it to work i'd be very excited.

so yea this would be great if it was like a play controlled decision but i'm not for this if you want the "AI to adjust"
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: is there even gap control defense in this game   is there even gap control defense in this game Empty2010-02-13, 22:01

I totally agree

If I am a coach and I assign my DE a 4 shade technique then I expect him to do his job. But I cannot control 11 ballers at once and I cannot hot fix every player, nor do I want to.

But remember this, when I was growing up the most advanced electonic football was Coleco. We have come a very long way since then. And the technology is growing exponentially, so we may be closer than you think.

Yes Coleco Football, you know the vibrating table with magnetic players.
Back to top Go down
huh1231
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
huh1231

PostSubject: Re: is there even gap control defense in this game   is there even gap control defense in this game Empty2010-02-13, 23:12

lol dont remember that far old timer. only started playing madden seriously since 07 and only online in 09.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: is there even gap control defense in this game   is there even gap control defense in this game Empty

Back to top Go down

is there even gap control defense in this game
Page 1 of 1