Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesHomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Please Register On Our New Forums
All post counts will be trasfered, please re-register with your current username. 
This forum will be shut down soon!
Any posts made on this forum from now on will not be taken with us to the new forums!

What would you do in this situation?

Go down 
+20
prolific333
wandeezy623
PeytonMvPManning
jsmall28
CapnCrunch
ticklemeelmo
xXTHeEddYXx
Cboy918
Mcnair2Wycheck
Mr. 5oh3
beerbuzz
Celtic_Shield
iGotBeast$wag13
claytops
the joker 260
iTz K1ng FuZ10n
OGiant23
MiamiXCanes
24Marion24
AshBlackstone
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
prolific333
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-12-15

What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-27, 01:26

the off tackle will keep a safety out of there unless its a very skilled defensive set up
Back to top Go down
http://www.prolificmaddentips.webs.com
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-27, 05:52

jsmall28 wrote:
i'll lab it tomorrow to exemplify my point.

Now there's a twist

CapnCrunch is gonna have you for breakfast!!!
Back to top Go down
jsmall28
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-27, 16:07

alright cap, you were right about punting. i was wrong there, so i will give you credit. however, that was using regular punt or max cover punt. using max protection punt allows you to get the punt off. so, i think ash made the right decision, but the wrong play call. using max protect punt will let you get the punt off in that situation.
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-27, 16:58

I appreciate the credit. However, you are still risking too much if you try to punt. Even if you are able to get it off a few times in Max Protect. You are risking the block for a defensive touchdown.

Since this horse ain't dead yet. I am going to whip it into a froth.

Let's look at the most basic fundamentals of football, which are down and distance. And then let's add two other fundamentals, possesion and clock management.

In this case you still have 3 downs left that should be utilized to create as much distance as possible so that you do not risk the punt block. But everyone is worried about the fumble or the strip. Well give it to your best possesion back. Whether it be the Fullback or the Halfback and tell them to hold onto the ball at all costs. Or in the case of Madden football you hold the RB button to retain possesion.

It has also been mentioned what if they blow it up in the backfield for a safety. Well if you are one of the ones who called FB Dive or HB Dive, go to the head of the class. This play has the back in motion and the handoff as close to the line as possible. However if they do blow it up in the backfield you have only given up the safety and you now have room to kick it away. That is much better than risking the block for a defensive touchdown. 5 points better. Also during these 2 plays you are using clock and he is using timeouts.

My last point, if you gain no yardage and are left with fourth down at the 1. Your best play is to QB Kneel and take the safety. This allows you the space necessary to get the kick off and move the ball downfield without risking the punt block and defensive TD.

I hate to be so stubborn about this but I am 100% certain about it.

PS. This information is the same whether it be Madden or real football

Last edited by CapnCrunch on 2009-12-27, 17:17; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MiamiXCanes
Madden Writers
Madden Writers

Number of posts : 1661
Registration date : 2009-09-14

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-27, 17:15

thank you cap lol
Back to top Go down
jsmall28
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-27, 18:14

cap, i absolutely agree, that is the call in the NFL. but in madden, where points are scored so quickly, i would just want to avoid a safety at all costs. you have swayed me about not punting till 4th down, but with 4th down at the 1, i would try to punt it. keep trying to sway me on that, though!!!!
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-27, 22:12

crazyblack001 wrote:
thank you cap lol

You are quite welcome Crazy,

That is what Madden School is all about. Sometimes we learn sometimes we teach.

BTW, you around Spokane or Yakima? I have been to those places and they are among the most beautiful in the nation. Once went just to check out the Basalt Daisies, very interesting flower. Ever seen one? Plus the Columbia River Valley is gorgeous in spring and summer. Probably a bit cold there now. I won't go up there this time of year.
Back to top Go down
Oldstalecheetos
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
Oldstalecheetos

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-27, 22:56

i suggest with the lead and a minute and a half to go in the 4th, you turn off your game system
Back to top Go down
AshBlackstone
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2009-10-05

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-28, 03:53

CapnCrunch wrote:
I appreciate the credit. However, you are still risking too much if you try to punt. Even if you are able to get it off a few times in Max Protect. You are risking the block for a defensive touchdown.

Since this horse ain't dead yet. I am going to whip it into a froth.

Let's look at the most basic fundamentals of football, which are down and distance. And then let's add two other fundamentals, possesion and clock management.

In this case you still have 3 downs left that should be utilized to create as much distance as possible so that you do not risk the punt block. But everyone is worried about the fumble or the strip. Well give it to your best possesion back. Whether it be the Fullback or the Halfback and tell them to hold onto the ball at all costs. Or in the case of Madden football you hold the RB button to retain possesion.

It has also been mentioned what if they blow it up in the backfield for a safety. Well if you are one of the ones who called FB Dive or HB Dive, go to the head of the class. This play has the back in motion and the handoff as close to the line as possible. However if they do blow it up in the backfield you have only given up the safety and you now have room to kick it away. That is much better than risking the block for a defensive touchdown. 5 points better. Also during these 2 plays you are using clock and he is using timeouts.

My last point, if you gain no yardage and are left with fourth down at the 1. Your best play is to QB Kneel and take the safety. This allows you the space necessary to get the kick off and move the ball downfield without risking the punt block and defensive TD.

I hate to be so stubborn about this but I am 100% certain about it.

PS. This information is the same whether it be Madden or real football

Again, completely leaving out then fact that the chance that the punt gets blocked is substantially slimmer than being tackled for a one yard loss on a running play.

How do I know that? I've never had a punt blocked in Madden.
Back to top Go down
AshBlackstone
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-28, 04:03

CapnCrunch wrote:
Ok so I went in to the practice mode and set up the play. just to prove you wrong. Because I am 100% certain I am right.

I set up the ball on the 1 yd line. Called regular punt not line drive to give it a better chance and ran punt block on defense. I dare you to do the same.

Here are the results

9 Punt Blocks
8 for Defensive TDs
1 for a safety

1 punt got off

Put the ball in the hands of your best running back. Marion barber hardly ever fumbles. And has never fumbled in the endzone for me with over 500 games.

Top 10 reasons you don't punt from the 1

10. Bad snap carries out of endzone for safety
9. Bobble catch for safety or Defensive TD
8. Not enough room, regular punt requires 15yds
7. Punter steps on end line for safety
6. Penetration get punt block for Defensive TD
5. Vertical leap gets punt block for safety
4. You should run out the clock
3. You should make him use his timeouts
2. Punt return for TD
1. Your giving him the ball back

How many reasons can you come up with to not give the ball to your best running back.

I repeat:

It was a bad call, Dude

Dude, I've never had a punt blocked in an actual game. That's great that you can block a punt or get your punt blocked on Rookie or Pro in practice mode.

But if it were that easy, you'd see punts blocked all the time in Madden. But I've never seen one. I've never blocked one. I've never had one blocked, and I've punted out of the end zone many times. It's not the first time I punted from the 1.

You can try and pretend all you want that there is a high block probability, but what actually happens when the games are played tells a different story.

And that story is this...blocked punts are rare in Madden. Even when you're punting from your own 1. They're substantially more rare than getting tackled for a loss, which had just happened to me on the previous play.

Does that mean I would have definitely been hit for a loss on the next play? No, of course not. But anyway you slice it...punts aren't blocked nearly as often in Madden as are running backs tackled behind the line of scrimmage. Even from your own 1.

Not that you would know anything about it, because aren't you the guy that hasn't played an online game?

All of the other stuff about returning the punt for a TD, or stepping out of the back of the end zone is irrelevant. None of that crap about stepping out of the end zone happens in Madden.

The punt return is especially irrelevant, because as much as everyone would like to claim that they would call a punt return play on 2nd down...they wouldn't. They'd call a regular defense, because they would think I was up to something. They wouldn't believe for a second that I was actually going to punt, and that's why the ball went 60 yards.
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-28, 07:12

Current count from your own question

18 people against your call

Only you for your call

PS:
TicklemeElmos' last comment was on the fence but to his credit his first instinct was against your call. I did not count his vote.

Jsmall has been swayed to at least wait til 4th down. To jsmalls credit he is only 16 and still learning. Although his teachers must bang their heads on the chalkboard sometimes. I counted his vote against you.
Back to top Go down
jsmall28
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-28, 13:00

lol, cap. you're summing up my entire high school experience with your las comment.
Back to top Go down
AshBlackstone
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-28, 14:49

CapnCrunch wrote:
Current count from your own question

18 people against your call

Only you for your call

PS:
TicklemeElmos' last comment was on the fence but to his credit his first instinct was against your call. I did not count his vote.

Jsmall has been swayed to at least wait til 4th down. To jsmalls credit he is only 16 and still learning. Although his teachers must bang their heads on the chalkboard sometimes. I counted his vote against you.

Good for them? The point of this thread was that I believed no one else would actually make the call.

It's a lesson in probability for the rest of you. I've never had a punt blocked. I've been tackled for a loss on many occasions. It's not rocket science. Had it been an 11 point game, I don't make the same call.

But because it's a safety away from being a one score game, and seeing as how I've never had a punt blocked ever, and seeing as how no one in this game would even call for any sort of punt block or punt return defense if they saw you in a punt formation on 2nd down, for fear of the fake punt running play, I stand by the call.

It greatly reduced his opportunity to ever have the ball and only being down a score.
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-28, 15:17

Nobody else would call it because it is a bad play
Back to top Go down
AshBlackstone
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-28, 16:28

CapnCrunch wrote:
Nobody else would call it because it is a bad play

No one else would call it because they don't understand the percentages. Apparently you have the most trouble understanding it of anyone.

Since I've never had a punt blocked, and I'm very good at angling punts...there was much less risk for me to punt the football, than there was for me to run it up the gut.

You are the guy who hasn't played a game online yet, right?
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-28, 19:31

AshBlackstone wrote:
You have possession of the football, and you're leading 23-13 with about 1:30 left to go in the fourth quarter. You've just intercepted your opponent inside your 10 yard line, and he has all of his timeouts left.
So you're starting from your own 5, and on first down...you run a toss play to try and catch him off guard and some more breathing room, but you're dropped for a four yard loss.
The situation is 2nd and 14 from your own 1 yard line. He called timeout, and now there is 1:23 remaining. You've grinded out some tough yards on the ground, but he's pretty good on defense and has made some good plays as well.
What do you call next? I'm just curious to see if anyone would do what I actually did to win the game.
AshBlackstone wrote:
but I didn't wait until 4th down to punt.
After getting dropped for a four yard loss, and being just inside my own 1...I punted on 2nd down.

AshBlackstone wrote:
Actually, it was a brilliant move...

THIS is what we are talking about right?

How brilliant you are

I was confused

Last edited by CapnCrunch on 2009-12-29, 20:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NO LUN@T1K
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
NO LUN@T1K

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-28, 19:43

in this situation i would probably kill myself
Back to top Go down
AztecThunda
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-10-16

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-30, 20:22

Very thought provoking thread. Capn comment about never having had a punt blocked...did that include punts from the 1? I can appreciate folks being creative and calling out of the box plays...Personally I would have run up the gut to get the defence to use up there time outs, then punted/tried to punt on 4th. I don't think that we can say that Capn's call was wrong because he ended up winning the game..."if it's in the game it's in the game"...some time ya have to say screw the percentages and go with your gut.
How many times have you gone for it on 4th down, just beacuse you "felt" you could put the game away with a first down or you decided to go for the touchdown on 4th and goal because kicking the field goal when you were already up...Football is as much gut calls as it playing the percentages and making the "right" call.

Anyway...my two cents.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy Freedom90
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member
Jimmy Freedom90

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-31, 01:15

Six pages? Wow.
But if i were you, i'd definitely go with a quick slant route, depending on if he's playing man. and if so, then i'd give it to my FB or RB out of the backfield and have them pick up some yards. Then stay in bounds and let him use his timeout. Then if i didnt get a first down, on third down, i'd probably go run (toss weak IMO). make him use his last timeout. then punt.
but this is all based off of getting yards on the slant play...
Back to top Go down
MiamiXCanes
Madden Writers
Madden Writers

Number of posts : 1661
Registration date : 2009-09-14

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-31, 01:31

yeah cap i live like 20 miles outside of spokane. its cold as hell right now lol

but just so ash understands that we aare all right. i have had punts blocked, and blocked punts when i or somebody else is backed up on the 1 in an online game.

dumb call!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Mcnair2Wycheck
Exclusive Member
Exclusive Member
Mcnair2Wycheck

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty2009-12-31, 01:35

Punt the ball high and it should rarely get blocked even on the 1.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

What would you do in this situation?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3