Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesHomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Please Register On Our New Forums
All post counts will be trasfered, please re-register with your current username. 
This forum will be shut down soon!
Any posts made on this forum from now on will not be taken with us to the new forums!

What would you do in this situation?

Go down 
+20
prolific333
wandeezy623
PeytonMvPManning
jsmall28
CapnCrunch
ticklemeelmo
xXTHeEddYXx
Cboy918
Mcnair2Wycheck
Mr. 5oh3
beerbuzz
Celtic_Shield
iGotBeast$wag13
claytops
the joker 260
iTz K1ng FuZ10n
OGiant23
MiamiXCanes
24Marion24
AshBlackstone
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MiamiXCanes
Madden Writers
Madden Writers

Number of posts : 1661
Registration date : 2009-09-14

What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-25, 03:55

okay yeah thats true. but either way, im one of those people that in a situation like that i would kick the FG as soon as im in range to keep as much time on the clock. by doing that all he needs is one 20-25 yard play with a good kicker and he can do that. alot would have to go right for that person for a comeback to happen, but i feel like punting it back gives him the jump start for that to happen
Back to top Go down
AshBlackstone
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2009-10-05

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-25, 04:03

crazyblack001 wrote:
okay yeah thats true. but either way, im one of those people that in a situation like that i would kick the FG as soon as im in range to keep as much time on the clock. by doing that all he needs is one 20-25 yard play with a good kicker and he can do that. alot would have to go right for that person for a comeback to happen, but i feel like punting it back gives him the jump start for that to happen

He still needs to recover an onside kick after that score to have a chance, and the chances of him doing that are significantly lower than the chances of him dropping me for a one yard loss.

Had I been on the two yard line, I would run it twice with my fullback and then kicked it.
Back to top Go down
MiamiXCanes
Madden Writers
Madden Writers

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-25, 04:19

like i said, it would take alot for it to happen. but i dont see how giving him the ball back sooner helps that
Back to top Go down
AshBlackstone
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-25, 04:31

crazyblack001 wrote:
like i said, it would take alot for it to happen. but i dont see how giving him the ball back sooner helps that

If I snap the ball on the next play, and he drops me for a one yard loss, it's now an 8 point game with about 1:20 left...and I'm still giving him the ball back. He then only needs a TD with a two point conversion to tie the game. Now he has the ball, there's like 1:08 left after the punt, and is down 2 scores.

And I'm sure as hell not QB sneaking it, because you can still get hit for a loss, and QBs are fumble prone.

By punting, I eliminate that scenario. And this has been done in NFL games, though it usually happens on 3rd down. There are also scenarios where coaches choose to purposely take safeties when they're on their own 1.
Back to top Go down
MiamiXCanes
Madden Writers
Madden Writers

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-25, 05:22

if you have such little confidence in your run game then you should hit up the lab
Back to top Go down
jsmall28
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-25, 05:37

i don't think it's about having so little confidence in the run game. i've been dropped for a loss with a QB sneak and a FB dive. you never know what will happen in madden, so he is just eliminating a safety. at first, i thought it was a bad idea, too, but now i understand his thinking.
Back to top Go down
ticklemeelmo
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
ticklemeelmo

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2009-11-15

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-25, 14:57

i really like the idea now that i think about it, but everyone usually waits for O to pick a play and theyll clearly see punt on there. if they dont though and they have to waste a Time out then thats not even a down and you got him wasting a time out which is great. or press start change your audible to include punt, sub your punter in at qb and audible not sure if that would work though lol.
Back to top Go down
MiamiXCanes
Madden Writers
Madden Writers

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-25, 16:33

yeah i can understand where he is coming from. its the fear of a blocked punt that i would be worried about because like you said, most people wait to see what the O comes out in. but hey, football is a chess match and he made the safest move he could have. im an aggressive player so im a bit different
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-25, 16:52

In the NFL it is much more difficult to get a good punt away if you are on the 1 yard line. Conversely it is much easier to block that punt because they are jammed against the end line. Had the punter stepped over the end line it would also be a safety.

As soon as the opponent saw the punt team come out they should have been pumped at the opportunity to block the kick in the endzone for a touchdown. And given the little amount of space to work with it could have been done.

And then you called a line drive kick thus lowering the trajectory and adding to your problems because now a linebacker can jump high enough from behind the defensive line to block the kick without any penetration, thus adding another opportunity to block the kick. One from penetration and one from a timed vertical leap behind the defensive line.

Then he gets the TD on the blocked kick. Kicks it away and uses his timeouts on defense. You are forced to punt and he has the ball back. One good pass play or a few to the flat and get out of bounds to setup the field goal. And your going to overtime.

It was a bad call, dude.
Back to top Go down
ticklemeelmo
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
ticklemeelmo

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2009-11-15

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-25, 20:56

im gonna see later if you can do the audible to punt thing, cause that would be badass
Back to top Go down
AshBlackstone
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-26, 02:47

crazyblack001 wrote:
if you have such little confidence in your run game then you should hit up the lab

It's not about confidence in my run game. Other players make good plays as well.

My decision to punt the ball just about eliminated any chance he had for a rally. I forced him without question to score and recover an onside kick and score again to beat me or tie me. The punt took 15 ticks off of the clock, and reduced it to 1:08.

You tell me which scenario is more likely to happen.

Scenario 1: I don't punt, and I run it. He drops me for a loss, and gets a safety with about 1:19 left, and now down one score. He drives it down the field after getting the free kick, scores a TD and gets the 2 point conversion to force overtime.

Scenario 2: I punt the football, and then he drives down the field, scores a touchdown or kicks a FG, recovers an onside kick, and then scores another TD or kicks a field goal to either tie or win the game.

Scenario 2 has a significantly lower chance of actually happening, which is why I punted the football. It's about playing the percentages when you're in the situation I was in.
Back to top Go down
AshBlackstone
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-26, 02:57

CapnCrunch wrote:
In the NFL it is much more difficult to get a good punt away if you are on the 1 yard line. Conversely it is much easier to block that punt because they are jammed against the end line. Had the punter stepped over the end line it would also be a safety.

As soon as the opponent saw the punt team come out they should have been pumped at the opportunity to block the kick in the endzone for a touchdown. And given the little amount of space to work with it could have been done.

And then you called a line drive kick thus lowering the trajectory and adding to your problems because now a linebacker can jump high enough from behind the defensive line to block the kick without any penetration, thus adding another opportunity to block the kick. One from penetration and one from a timed vertical leap behind the defensive line.

Then he gets the TD on the blocked kick. Kicks it away and uses his timeouts on defense. You are forced to punt and he has the ball back. One good pass play or a few to the flat and get out of bounds to setup the field goal. And your going to overtime.

It was a bad call, dude.

Everything you just laid out was much less likely to happen than being dropped for a loss for a safety.

How many times has your running back been tackled for a loss? How many times have you had a punt blocked? I've never had a punt blocked in Madden. Ever. I run the football just fine, but I've still be dropped for a loss on many, many occasions.

It's not even close. With 1:23 left in the game, I made decision to go with the higher percentage play.

Basically, you're completely ignoring the fact that the chance of him blocking my punt is a lot less likely than the chance of him nailing for a loss on a running play. In addition, while everyone in Madden would like to believe that they'd call a punt block play in a situation like that, we all know that we're all way too suspicious of our opponent running some sort of trick play to actually have the guts to call for a punt block in the given situation.

Anyway you slice it, I made the best call possible given the set of circumstances I was presented. 2nd and 14 on my own 1, he has 2 timeouts left after burning one when he hit me for the loss.
Back to top Go down
AshBlackstone
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-26, 02:58

ticklemeelmo wrote:
i really like the idea now that i think about it, but everyone usually waits for O to pick a play and theyll clearly see punt on there. if they dont though and they have to waste a Time out then thats not even a down and you got him wasting a time out which is great. or press start change your audible to include punt, sub your punter in at qb and audible not sure if that would work though lol.

How often do you get a punt blocked? How often do people call regular defenses against punt formations in odd situations? Almost always.

I rest my case.
Back to top Go down
MiamiXCanes
Madden Writers
Madden Writers

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-26, 05:03

i am being 120% honest in me saying that regardless of the situation, if you come out and it says your punting from the 1. i would call a punt block. it stops the fake punt run, and your backed up so far that if you even tried the pass you would have zero time to throw it. and im guessing you punted the ball once before, a line drive as well. so he would know that would be a very good chance at blocking that punt

any smart player on his side would play the odds, and go for the block. just because he made a stupid call on his part doesnt mean you made a good one
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-26, 10:08

Ok so I went in to the practice mode and set up the play. just to prove you wrong. Because I am 100% certain I am right.

I set up the ball on the 1 yd line. Called regular punt not line drive to give it a better chance and ran punt block on defense. I dare you to do the same.

Here are the results

9 Punt Blocks
8 for Defensive TDs
1 for a safety

1 punt got off

Put the ball in the hands of your best running back. Marion barber hardly ever fumbles. And has never fumbled in the endzone for me with over 500 games.

Top 10 reasons you don't punt from the 1

10. Bad snap carries out of endzone for safety
9. Bobble catch for safety or Defensive TD
8. Not enough room, regular punt requires 15yds
7. Punter steps on end line for safety
6. Penetration get punt block for Defensive TD
5. Vertical leap gets punt block for safety
4. You should run out the clock
3. You should make him use his timeouts
2. Punt return for TD
1. Your giving him the ball back

How many reasons can you come up with to not give the ball to your best running back.

I repeat:

It was a bad call, Dude
Back to top Go down
PeytonMvPManning
Madden Advisor
Madden Advisor
PeytonMvPManning

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-26, 11:26

i would have called a FB dive
Back to top Go down
jsmall28
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-26, 18:07

i still think he made the right call. as ash said, how often have you had you're running back tackled for a loss? i know it has happened to me hundreds of times. how many times have you had a punt blocked or blocked one? i have never had either happened, even when punting from the one. and, even if the punt gets blocked for a touchdown, the opponent still has to recover an onside kick, which isn't easy.
Back to top Go down
wandeezy623
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-26, 19:01

PA would be the worst possible thing in this situation cuz i know if i had my opponent in this situation I am coming with an all out blitz for the safety and a chance to win and i would definately be going for the QB, i just think a PA is WAYYYYY to risky, I like whoever said run the FB up the gut burn his Timeouts and punt if neccesary cuz u r still up by two scores under two minutes i wouldnt be worried if you had to punt especially if you burned all his timeouts
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-26, 19:16

Jsmall, You obviously did not lab the play.

It takes 15 yds to get off a punt.

Stop talking Bullsh!t and lab the play.

That is it!! Enough!

Both you guys give me 10 stadiums

NOW!!!

And since you guys don't know how to play football. The rest of the team is gonna run stadiums with you!!

Let's go Ladies!!!
Hustle, Hustle, Hustle

Let's go Madden Schoolers!!
We are gonna run stadiums all night!!
Until you Ballerinas learn how to play football!!
Back to top Go down
jsmall28
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-26, 19:25

lol cap, i feel you. i'm just saying, i sure wouldn't come out in punt block if i see that my opponent is punting. that could just be me, but that's what i feel. i won't lab the play, i trust what you are saying. if he won, right and wrong doesn't really matter. i agree with you, too, though. lol, i really can't make up my mind!
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-26, 20:40

That's fine all you fancy nancies don't want to lab

10 more stadiums
Move it GIRLS!!!
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-26, 21:54

Lab results
Second Lab Session

Cowboys vs Redskins
Cowboys punt from 1 yd line
Redskins Block Punt formation
Ball spotted at the 1 yard line
10 tries each setting

Rookie Settings
10 Blocked punts for 7 safeties and 2 Defensive TDs

Pro Settings
9 Blocked Punts for 8 Defensive TDs and 1 Safety
1 punter ran it to the 2 yd line
Not one successful punt

All Pro Settings
10 Blocked Punts for 9 Defensive TDs and 1 Safety
Not one successful punt

All Madden Settings
9 Blocked Punts for 7 Safeties and 2 Defensive TDs
1 successful punt

That is a total of 50 times I tried this play and only got the punt off twice

It was a bad call Ash
I Dare You to Lab it Yourself
Back to top Go down
MiamiXCanes
Madden Writers
Madden Writers

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-26, 23:14

like i said. the risk of the unt being blocked is to great, and the numbers obviously back that up.

now cap go ahead and call a basic run like you did with the punt, 10 times.

you will get blocked on the punt more often then getting stoped for a loss on any basic run
Back to top Go down
prolific333
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-27, 00:44

id use the strong:close:hb off tackle and rely on my slide protection and follow my blockers, with a back like chris johnson that could hit the end zone at any given time
Back to top Go down
http://www.prolificmaddentips.webs.com
jsmall28
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty2009-12-27, 01:08

you gotta remember that cap is doing line drive kicks, because ash said that was how he kicked the ball. i, on the otherhand, would do a high punt, which i'm guessing would end up in a much higher success rate. i'll lab it tomorrow to exemplify my point. and just think of your opponent being in goal line and usering the safety. a run play and BOOM! safety comes running through the hole to force a safety. that was my reasoning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would you do in this situation?   What would you do in this situation? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What would you do in this situation?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next