Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesHomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Please Register On Our New Forums
All post counts will be trasfered, please re-register with your current username. 
This forum will be shut down soon!
Any posts made on this forum from now on will not be taken with us to the new forums!

3-4 Defensive Plays

Go down 
+4
wandeezy623
iGotBeast$wag13
chrisc2006
EnglishVikingFanChris
8 posters
AuthorMessage
EnglishVikingFanChris
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-08-20

3-4 Defensive Plays Empty
PostSubject: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-22, 16:41

What Base Defence do you guys run out of. Mine is the 3-4 Over and what I do is this.
1st down will be Gap Press
2nd Down will be Cover 2
3rd Down will be Cover 3.

However, my general 3-4 defence needs improving, have any of you got any decent coverage plays out of the 3-4 and also some good nano's?
Back to top Go down
EnglishVikingFanChris
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-22, 17:47

3-4 Solid Sorry not Over
Back to top Go down
EnglishVikingFanChris
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-23, 16:02

Im getting slapped at the moment because of my lack of defensive ability. When im faced with 3 recievers I have to play F@G D cause I can't stop any pass plays and I don't no any nano blitz's. When its down to 2 reievers or just one I do what I put above but it's not working Sad Help me guys.
Back to top Go down
chrisc2006
Madden School Veteran
Madden School Veteran

Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2008-06-14

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-23, 16:03

EnglishVikingFanChris wrote:
Im getting slapped at the moment because of my lack of defensive ability. When im faced with 3 recievers I have to play F@G D cause I can't stop any pass plays and I don't no any nano blitz's. When its down to 2 reievers or just one I do what I put above but it's not working Sad Help me guys.
I don't understand what you are saying.
Back to top Go down
EnglishVikingFanChris
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-23, 16:16

Okay let me rephrase that. At the moment I am struggling with the 3-4 defensive playbook.

Here is what I know and also what I use during games:

1st down - Gap Press
2nd Down - Cover 2
3rd Down - Cover 3

This is all out of the 3-4 Solid formation. I can't continue just using three plays so have you got any other coverage/blitz plays that I could use.

ALSO:

When faced with 3,4 and 5 reciever sets I struggle with stopping the pass. I tend to come out with F@G Defence which means only one man rushing but they still manage to beat me through the air. Do you have any Nickel,Dime,Dollar or Quarter plays I could use?

--Chris
Back to top Go down
iGotBeast$wag13
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member
iGotBeast$wag13

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-23, 17:12

my base defense is 46 normal/nickle odd split. When its 3+ WR, i normally fag, but u sometimes have to zone blitz. Wat PB u ply wit?
Back to top Go down
EnglishVikingFanChris
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-23, 17:37

The NYJ D playbook, I F@G defence on literally every play with 3 or more recievers, however, they always have so much time to find a reciever so it kinda sucks.

Any tips/plays?

By the way,who are the 2 women you have in your pics? DAMNN haha
Back to top Go down
iGotBeast$wag13
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member
iGotBeast$wag13

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-23, 19:39

idk the 2nd one to be honest. The first is CoCo (Ice-T's wife). I use NYJ PB too. Are u on PS3? maybe we could lab the PB together, send me some nanos because i dnt have any. We cen make each other Defense more solid; Get @ me partner
Back to top Go down
EnglishVikingFanChris
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-23, 19:50

Nah man Im on Xbox.
One Nano I know off is in the Odd Split and u can either use The Monster Green or the other man coverage play next to that. Anyways:

You wanna put your ROLB which would be on the left of your screen and blitz him down the middle of the line towards the C and then move your MLB and Blitz him through the opponents guard and Tackle.

Sorry for the lack of detail in explaining but I hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
EnglishVikingFanChris
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-23, 19:54

On the left side of the tv for the MLB by the way
Back to top Go down
wandeezy623
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-11-16

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-24, 00:11

34 predator and stack are money along with nick 155
Back to top Go down
bmayzing
New MS Member
New MS Member
bmayzing

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-24, 13:23

3-4 defense can be solid. DE Contain is usually an effective play. I like cover 2 with it, stops the pass game pretty well, just make sure you dont get caught up with the wrong match-ups. Once you got it down its a legit D to use. What is fag d?
Back to top Go down
EnglishVikingFanChris
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-24, 14:07

To my knowledge F@G D is only rushing either 2 or 1 Players.

Heres a F@G D you can try out for yourself:

Nickel-3-5-5

Cover 3

Pinch the line and put the two DE's in yellow zones which is up on the right stick I believe.

Spread out the LB's and then blitz the DT down the middle and use the right stick to create as much pressure as possible.

This D depends on the standard of your opponent. If you are playing someone bad, they will just throw it straight into coverage trying to force the pass. If the opponent is good, he will wait for as long as possible until someone is open which kills the D.
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-24, 22:16

At the moment I am struggling with the 3-4 defensive playbook.

1st down - Gap Press
2nd Down - Cover 2
3rd Down - Cover 3

When faced with 3,4 and 5 reciever sets I struggle with stopping the pass.

--Chris

Here's what I think is the problem. They come out in 3,4 or 5 reciever sets and you say you are in 3-4. The 3-4 defense only has 2 cornerbacks to man against 3, 4, or 5 wide receivers. That means they have 1,2 or 3 recievers manned up against linebackers. The linebackers are too slow to cover the recievers. Then instead of putting pressure on the QB with your big linebackers, to make him throw in a hurry or try for the sack, you are dropping all the big slow linebackers into coverage. This only compounds the problem. Given enough time a fast wideout is going to beat a slow linebacker every time. I can tell you with a great amount of certainty this is why you are getting beat with 3,4 and 5 wide.

That is why you need to go into your nickel package and that will bring one more fast guy out, for a total of three against three wide. Or a dime package for 4 Corners against 4 wide. Or Quarters for 5 on 5. It is not always necessary to bring out the dime or quarters sometimes as you also have 2 fast (hopefully) safeties to cover with. Depending on your playcall.

Now let's take a look at your other statement. You cannot always assume that it is run on first down or pass on second and third and call gap press then cover 2 then cover 3. You have to start looking at the bottom right of your playcalling screen and it shows you how they are coming out.

An example would be if they come out with 5 WR. 0 HB, 0 TE then you know it is pass and you can make a decision on either fag D or pressure D. Both work and you should mix it up.

If they come out 1 wr, 2rb, 2 te, it is probably a run and you can play your gap press or gamble and play renegade or any run pressure play. Now that you identifies run you must deduce whether it is inside run or outside run and choose accordingly. Normally if I think outside I spread my linebackers, if I think inside I pinch my linebackers.

If they come out in Wildcat run under smoke, over storm or mlb blitz out of a nickel package. The same with HB Direct Snap.

Start looking at their tendencies and try to anticipate their next move not only on the package but on the more important Down and Distance. It is unlikely they will run on 3rd and 10 on the flip side 2nd and short is a great passing down because if you don't complete the pass, then you still have 3rd and short for your run play.

Just a few suggestions I hope it helps.

PS - when you take a linebacker out and bring in another Cornerback, that fellow is called a nickelback he is the third corner on your depth chart. When you take another linbacker out and bring in another corner he is a dimeback and fourth on your depth chart. Quarters is generally used late in the game, when you want to prevent a deep pass.

If you still have trouble post here again. Someone will be glad to help.
Back to top Go down
EnglishVikingFanChris
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-25, 07:32

Thanks for the Info, I do use the bottom right of the screen by the way, The Gap press and cover 2 Thing I said was mainly of a base concept that I would use. Adding another cornerback instead of a linebacker can only be achieved by using the sub method right? Thanks for the suggestions and help though, I think im going to try and find a team with a solid secondary such as the Packers and use them, although I have been using the Seahawks recentely as I want to win with an underrated team that isn't Oakland.

- Merry Christmas
- Chris
Back to top Go down
heat123
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-25, 08:10

I use a nano out of nickel odd split it is called thunder green i have a zone blitz and zone fag d out of that also. then I run nickel normal a little and nickel 155 mostly i just mix it up like fag d blitz blitz fag d blitz fag d fag d blitz etc.
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-25, 16:31

When you call a nickel package it automatically brings out another cornerback. He is callled the nickelback and it is a basic defense against 3 wide receivers.

When you call a dime defense it automatically brings out yet another cornerback he is called a dime back. In the dime you have your 2 starting corners and your nickelback and your dime back. The dime package is a base defense against 4 wide receivers.

When you call a quarter defense you now have 5 cornerbacks in it is a base defense against 5 wide.

There is no need to substitute in these packages for extra cornerbacks.

The nickelback is the 3rd cornerback on your depth chart
The dime back is the 4th cornerback on your depth chart

I will be happy to answer any more questions the best I knnow how.
Feel free to ask anything.

PS. Are you from across the pond?
Back to top Go down
EnglishVikingFanChris
New MS Member
New MS Member

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-25, 18:42

Ive just re-read your last post and I never ever use 3-4 with more han 2 recievers anyways. So I do use nickel for 3, dollar for 4 and quarter for 5. So maybe F@g defence isn't that great then because I get beat by it even with the cb's out.

And yeah i'm 17 from London Smile
Back to top Go down
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-25, 20:04

Cool, I am an old fart from Texas. But I am glad to see that American Football is catching on in Europe. Here is a way to blow away your friends with your great football knowledge. And information you can use to enjoy the game more.

Wikipedia has a huge American Football Reference, just type in "American Football" and these key phrases and study up a little.

0 Technique
4 shade
9 technique
Leverage
Cover 2 Shell
Man principles
Swim move
Bull rush

Anyway there are a few defensive phrases that are cool to learn and it won't take long. I don't know if there all in there but I would think so. If you want to learn more, there is a huge reference there.

Good luck and enjoy
Back to top Go down
IRISHFBFAN1
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member
IRISHFBFAN1

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty2009-12-26, 01:25

CapnCrunch wrote:
At the moment I am struggling with the 3-4 defensive playbook.

1st down - Gap Press
2nd Down - Cover 2
3rd Down - Cover 3

When faced with 3,4 and 5 reciever sets I struggle with stopping the pass.

--Chris

Here's what I think is the problem. They come out in 3,4 or 5 reciever sets and you say you are in 3-4. The 3-4 defense only has 2 cornerbacks to man against 3, 4, or 5 wide receivers. That means they have 1,2 or 3 recievers manned up against linebackers. The linebackers are too slow to cover the recievers. Then instead of putting pressure on the QB with your big linebackers, to make him throw in a hurry or try for the sack, you are dropping all the big slow linebackers into coverage. This only compounds the problem. Given enough time a fast wideout is going to beat a slow linebacker every time. I can tell you with a great amount of certainty this is why you are getting beat with 3,4 and 5 wide.

That is why you need to go into your nickel package and that will bring one more fast guy out, for a total of three against three wide. Or a dime package for 4 Corners against 4 wide. Or Quarters for 5 on 5. It is not always necessary to bring out the dime or quarters sometimes as you also have 2 fast (hopefully) safeties to cover with. Depending on your playcall.

Now let's take a look at your other statement. You cannot always assume that it is run on first down or pass on second and third and call gap press then cover 2 then cover 3. You have to start looking at the bottom right of your playcalling screen and it shows you how they are coming out.

An example would be if they come out with 5 WR. 0 HB, 0 TE then you know it is pass and you can make a decision on either fag D or pressure D. Both work and you should mix it up.

If they come out 1 wr, 2rb, 2 te, it is probably a run and you can play your gap press or gamble and play renegade or any run pressure play. Now that you identifies run you must deduce whether it is inside run or outside run and choose accordingly. Normally if I think outside I spread my linebackers, if I think inside I pinch my linebackers.

If they come out in Wildcat run under smoke, over storm or mlb blitz out of a nickel package. The same with HB Direct Snap.

Start looking at their tendencies and try to anticipate their next move not only on the package but on the more important Down and Distance. It is unlikely they will run on 3rd and 10 on the flip side 2nd and short is a great passing down because if you don't complete the pass, then you still have 3rd and short for your run play.

Just a few suggestions I hope it helps.

PS - when you take a linebacker out and bring in another Cornerback, that fellow is called a nickelback he is the third corner on your depth chart. When you take another linbacker out and bring in another corner he is a dimeback and fourth on your depth chart. Quarters is generally used late in the game, when you want to prevent a deep pass.

If you still have trouble post here again. Someone will be glad to help.

Awesome post and I think you are dead on with the package problems he is having.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 Defensive Plays   3-4 Defensive Plays Empty

Back to top Go down

3-4 Defensive Plays
Page 1 of 1