Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesHomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Please Register On Our New Forums
All post counts will be trasfered, please re-register with your current username. 
This forum will be shut down soon!
Any posts made on this forum from now on will not be taken with us to the new forums!

Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse

Go down 
3 posters

Should this kid get the 100 years?
Yes
Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse Back_catg14%Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse Back_catg
 14% [ 1 ]
No
Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse Back_catg86%Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse Back_catg
 86% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Big Hungry 702
Madden School Veteran
Madden School Veteran
Big Hungry 702

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2009-07-25

Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse Empty
PostSubject: Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse   Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse Empty2009-11-01, 07:50

I got this from thatsphucked.com

When I was in law school, I took a class called Mental Illness and the Law. The cases we studied were devastating accounts of how our justice system mishandles defendants, convicted felons and prisoners who suffer from serious and debilitating mental diseases or defects. A recent court case noted in USA Today is yet another example of our system’s shortcomings.

Aaron Hart, an 18-year-old from Paris, Texas, received 100 years in prison for sexually abusing a 6-year-old neighbor. He pleaded guilty to five counts including aggravated sexual assault and indecency by contact, and received two five-year terms and three 30-year terms, which will be served consecutively. Hart is mentally retarded, has an IQ of 47, cannot read or write and speaks haltingly.

Apparently the jury didn’t envision this woefully misguided outcome:

Jurors said they sent the judge notes during deliberations in February, asking about alternatives to prison, but didn’t get a clear answer. They believed the judge would order concurrent sentences, jurors said.

The judge decided to make the sentences consecutive because he “felt” there was no other option:

“In the state of Texas, there isn’t a whole lot you can do with somebody like him,” [Judge Eric] Clifford said.

The young man had no prior felony record. “Aaron is 18, never committed a felony, had no violent record. He couldn’t understand the seriousness of what he did,” said his father, Robert Hart. “I never dreamed they would think about sending him to prison. When they said 100 years - it was terror, pure terror to me.”

My heart goes out to everyone involved here (except Judge Clifford, of course). A child was sexually violated. A mentally retarded person was sentenced to prison for a crime he perhaps didn’t understand was wrong (Hart’s appellate attorneys are arguing that the court-appointed physician performed tests on Hart assessing mental illness, not mental retardation). And a jury tried to render an appropriate sentence but was stymied by a lazy judge and a justice system ill-equipped to handle mentally retarded criminals. How is it possible in this day and age that Hart’s only option is lifetime imprisonment
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/surrenderthebooty69
Ellard
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
Ellard

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse   Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse Empty2009-11-02, 01:56

damn that is phucked...
Back to top Go down
BOSTN BEANER
Exclusive Member
Exclusive Member
BOSTN BEANER

Number of posts : 2328
Registration date : 2008-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse   Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse Empty2009-11-03, 02:28

I'm the one who voted yes. I'm thinkin about it from the 6 year olds parents point of view. If it was my child I would be prosicuting to the fullest extent. 100 years wouldn't be what I would have in mind but I woulda wanted him to serve some time. I guess I would feel a little bad that he's doing a lifetime sentence afterwords but I woulda never expected a 100 year sentence when the trial was going on.
Back to top Go down
http://zebragamer.com/forums/register.php?referrerid=11
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse   Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse Empty

Back to top Go down

Mentally retarded teen gets 100 years for abuse
Page 1 of 1