Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesHomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Please Register On Our New Forums
All post counts will be trasfered, please re-register with your current username. 
This forum will be shut down soon!
Any posts made on this forum from now on will not be taken with us to the new forums!

A Little 3-4 Info

Go down 
AuthorMessage
xPICKx4xSIXx
Exclusive Member
Exclusive Member
xPICKx4xSIXx

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2008-10-29

A Little 3-4 Info Empty
PostSubject: A Little 3-4 Info   A Little 3-4 Info Empty2008-11-15, 15:57

1. personell for the 3-4

the first thing you would want would be atleast 3, but preferably 4 good LBs (san diego, bengals, steelers, bears, etc). i run a 3-4 regardless of what team im using (with the dolphins all the time, who have 1 maybe 2 solid LBs), but that would be ideal. a big fat DT to clog the middle would be perfect. at DE, i would either want REALLY fast ends, or really strong ends. for the most part, your DEs wont be the ones creating pressure on the QB (unless they are really fast), so it would be nice if they could hold up the person trying to block them, or even push the blocker into the backfield. either works fine, but really fast DEs give you more flexability. safties who can tackle, and with some speed, are an asset. most of this seems self-explanatory, but i figured id mention it anyway.

2. my set up

my base set up, from every 3-4 formation (normal, over, under, solid), when the run is a threat, is to spread the Dline (L1 + up on the Dpad), loop the Dline (L1 + up on the right analog stick), and pinch the LBs (R1 + down on the Dpad). no matter what play i call, when the run is a threat, i set my defese up like this. doing this seems to hide the LBs a little better, allowing them to either shoot gaps blowing up the run, or simply just clogging the hell out of the middle, leaving the RB no room to run. tackling with the saftey is a must on alot of plays, as this set up will usually allow you to run free and make plays. against passing downs (2nd and long, or 3rd and not short), i usually just spread and loop my line, but i wont pinch. by not shifting my line, it isnt obvious where the pressure is going to come from. more than anything else i can tell you, i think this setup is the most important. most guys say they have a problem stopping the run from the 3-4, overall i dont with this setup. i will conceede that the 3-4 defense is not going to be very successful trying to stop 3rd and inches type plays. the 3-4 D will give up yards on the run, you just hope its 2 here, 3 there, etc.

3. the formations (normal, under, over, solid)

i use all of them. normal has the most amount of plays in it, but all are nice, and if just going by stock plays, all have some different ones. i use the 3-4 book.

anyway, the only real formation i use for a specific purpose is the 3-4 under. this is my stretch run killer (from strong i, or i normal). pick 2 man under (and do my normal setup of spread/loop line, pinch LBs), bump each WR, move the SS a little to the right of your screen (a little outside the TE), and control the FS. this setup will either allow the MLB to shoot the gap and crush the RB in the backfield or shoot the gap and force the RB outside way too fast. and almost everytime, the FS you are controlling will go unblocked, allowing you to run to the right of your screen to make the tackle for a short gain or even a loss. i used to get killed by guys who made a living off this run play, cuz using 3-4 normal gets the FS you are controlling blocked, instead of freeing him up. once i figured this out, i was able to hold guys in check who abused and overused this play.

4. my philosophy

blitz atleast 1 LB on most plays, try to mix things up, and bend but dont break. ill take small chances to get sacks, but i usually set up coverage behind it to avoid giving up huge chunks of yards. it sounds basic, but it works.

5. playing man D

when playing man D, i like to choose the double X/Z/TE plays as my base D. these have an OLB blitzing (i know the 3-4 normal has one where the OLB is on a delayed blitz, thats cool), one saftey in a deep zone, and the other doubling a WR or TE. what i tend to do when using these plays is to shift the coverage of the saftey already in a deep zone over to his side. so if the FS is in a deep zone in the middle of the field, ill press triangle + left on the R analog stick, to shift his coverage onto his side of the field. then ill take the SS, who is doubling the WR or TE, and put him in a deep zone. **NOTE** you HAVE to control the saftey you put into the deep zone. he will not cover the deep ball very well if you dont. its like he lets the WR run right by, even though he shows he is in a deep zone. let the CPU control the saftey you shifted over, and you control the one you put into a deep zone. just so your opponent cant key on your blitz side based on who you control, leave the saftey doubling the WR every now and then (be sure to freeze the D when coming out of the huddle, so the saftey doesnt run over there, or click on him real quick, move him a step, then click off). i just keep switching blitz sides. alot of the time, if the offense doesnt have RB blocking to that side, or a TE blocking on that side, the blitzing LB gets to the QB fairly quickly. i dont claim that this will create insane heat, but its usually enough to force throws, and you still have great coverage over top.

playing 3-4 2 man under: this has MLB #2 in a hook zone. you can either blitz him, use him to double someone, or put him into a zone where the offense keeps throwing. i like to flip the play, and put him into a purple zone, to keep the TE corner routes on lock.

other man blitzing plays i love: OLB dogs fire (both OLBs blitzing), MLB crossfire and storm blitz (both MLBs blitzing), trio whip man (ILB and OLB of the same side blitzing around the outside), and strong and weak blitz (ILB blitzing middle, OLB blitzing outside). all of these are cover 1 blitzes. to protect yourself deep, and to still cover everyone, put your best/fastest CB on their worst WR and dont bump. if your CBs suck, or their WRs are all studs, this can be tricky. otherwise, and especially in longer downs, just put the other saftey in a deep zone (shift the other one over first, then put that saftey in a deep zone and control him). sure, you give up man coverage on a RB/FB/TE, but they arent the biggest threats at that time. mixing in these plays, especially after youve played man D with 2 safties over the top, will usually suprise your opponent. dont abuse these cover 1 plays, cuz a good player will kill you if you do. again, none of these are nanos, and all can be picked up with the right blocking scheme, the idea here is that if you mix this in with 2 man under, your opponent will usually just keep a RB/FB in to block on whatever side they thing the LB is blitzing from. if you bring 2 LBs, you can usually get more pressure on the QB than they though was coming.

6. playing zone

the 2 keys to playing an effective zone is: 1. show the offense one thing, then do something else. 2. put defenders where the offense likes to throw, blitz the rest. alot of times ill pick a zone play, then just find a LB (or 2 or 3) to blitz, based on where my opponent likes to throw the ball. most people look to the flats when they see a blitz coming, so the flats are usually my number 1 priority. ill take cover 2 zone, and blitz 1 or both OLBs. cover 3 and blitz the LOLB (on the right of your screen), and put the SS in a flat zone, or blitz the FS. cover 4 zone and blitz any combo of LBs (both MLBs, both OLBs, one MLB and one OLB, etc), and if its a shorter yardage situation, make sure i still have flat coverage (either from the LBs not blitzing, or from the safteys). the idea here is to confuse, forcing the D to hold on to the ball. most people are only used to generic zone blitzes, that leave the flats open. when they arent, that extra second they hold on to the ball and say WTF can be enough to get you the sack. once i blitz a few times, i then go all out zone, to throw in another wrinkle.

straight zone plays i like: cover 2, cover 3, cover 4. all of these can be modified to bring some pressure.

some zone blitz plays i like:

1. LB Storm 3 (3-4 normal). this play can be ran as it is, but i usually put the CB on the left into a flat zone, and put the LOLB (on your right) into a flat zone, or leave him as it is to protect against a quick hitter to the TE. the 3 other blitzing LBs should get to the QB pretty quickly. i use the SS, and roam the middle.

2. weak storm roll. i usually put the MLB #1 (on your right) into a flat zone. then i usually blitz the CB on your left, and put the other MLB into a flat zone. so you have cover 3, a purple zone on the right of the screen, flat coverage on both sides, and you control the SS and police the middle. this can get some pressure with the OLB blitzing, and the CB flying in from the side will cause some major disruptions to the offense. this D has its holes, but only if the offense does 1 thing, overload the middle. like i said, alot of guys look to the flats with their TE/RBs, which you have covered.

3. trio sky zone. get some flat coverage (if it isnt 3rd and long), by putting the a combo of the ILBs/FS/ROLB (the one who isnt blitzing) into the flats). flip it to get the purple zone on the TE side, if the O likes corner routes alot.

4. crash blitz. some LBs blitz while your Dline drops back, and a cb comes in. throw in some flat zones if needed.

as you see, you can do just about anything, no matter what the play. you can also use engage 8, and put guys in coverage the way that you want them. all of that is effective. there are a bunch of other effective zone plays, just make sure to zone guys where the O likes to throw.

7. playing a man/zone combo

i mix these in once ive shown what i like to do with all man or all zone coverage. plays i like:

1. exchange (only use if you have a somewhat fast DE): this play has your LE (on the right of your screen) manned up on the TE/FB/RB. the 2 MLBs are in hook zones, one OLB is blitzing, the other is in man. both CBs are in man, with 2 safties deep. i love this play, cuz no one expects the DE to man up on someone. i have gotten picks with my DE, its pretty awesome.

2. CB Dogs Blitz: both CBs are blitzing. i put each OLB in a flat zone (sometimes just one). you gotta watch the deep ball here. control the saftey to the side of the fasest/best/biggest threat. there isnt any immediate pressure, but the CBs will get there if the ball is held on to.

3. zone-man blitz: i run it just how it is. a FB or RB is left uncovered, so you can put a DE to a flat zone on side if you feel like it. good for some confusion.

4. FS blitz. i usually move the FS down in the box. you have people manned up underneath, and cover 3 deep. brings pressure from an unexpected place.

8. bringing it all together

on their own, none of these plays are that special. none will hit the QB on their 2nd step of their drop, nor will cover every area of the field. the idea is to just keep them guessing about which, if any, of your LBs/CBs/Safties are blitzing. since you have guys who can come around the outside, and you have spread your line, the O really has to have backs/TEs blocking to that side, or the blitz will get there. once they look to block the outside, blitz the MLBs, etc. you are looking to try to get pressure, are willing to give up some gains, but arent willing to give up the big play. you are hoping, before they score a TD, you can get a sack to force a FG (or take them out of range), get a INT, a fumble, etc. make them work for their points. if they beat you, they beat you, but atleast you didnt just give it to them. seeing as how i play like this, i dont use cover 0 blitzes. no matter what, ill have atleast 1, but preferably 2 safties deep at all times.

9. Other plays i like from the 3-4 book

2-4-5 2 man under. spread dline (but dont loop), spread LBs, and blitz the ROLB (on the left), to take away that weird stunt. gets good pressure from the outside.

dime 3-2-6 2 deep LB blitz. spread and loop line, shift the blitzing LB to his side. if you notice, his blitz angle wont change (usually when moving a blitzer his blitz agle shifts towards teh QB, and the blitzer just runs into the Oline), he runs straight down after the snap and around the Oline.

anything from the 1-1-5s. so many ways to blitz Lbs and safties
Back to top Go down
http://Www.Myspace.Com/TakeemDaNigga1

A Little 3-4 Info
Page 1 of 1