Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesHomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Please Register On Our New Forums
All post counts will be trasfered, please re-register with your current username. 
This forum will be shut down soon!
Any posts made on this forum from now on will not be taken with us to the new forums!

4th Down Fallacies

Go down 
+3
Oldstalecheetos
Madd3n Guru
PapaSmurf
7 posters
AuthorMessage
PapaSmurf
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
PapaSmurf

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2009-01-20

4th Down Fallacies Empty
PostSubject: 4th Down Fallacies   4th Down Fallacies Empty2010-05-08, 18:43

Hey everyone, today Im posting what I call “4th Down Fallacies” Before I start, what is a fallacy?

A fallacy is basically a flawed way of thinking. Its where logic is faulty. The common errors in logic that people tend to use often get named. Go ahead and google fallacies sometime and see if youve been committing any, or just to check them out, they’re sort of neat…

But of course Im not posting about fallacies in everyday lifes arguments. I’m posting a list of 4th down fallacies that Ive come up with. This isnt a ‘when do I go for it’ thread, this is a ‘better not make these mental mistakes’ thread. Think you’ve committed one of these? Check em out...

Offensive Bias

This is the most general 4th down fallacy, so we’ll start with this. This is basically the concept that we madden players typically tend to want to decide the game on the offensive side of the ball. We want to be on offence for the last drive, not defence. However offence is just one of the three phases of football (and madden).

We can get ourselves into trouble on 4th down because of this bias. Problems arise in situations where it’s been the defence outplaying your offence. Even though defensively you might be playing better football, this bias makes us far more likely to take an unwarranted risk on 4th down simply to ‘decide the game on offence’ where on the other hand, although you might not like it (yet), the defence would give you the best chance to win the game.

Emotional Attachment

This fallacy is the idea that we get much too emotionally attached to a single offensive possession/drive. Is punting like pulling a tooth for you? It shouldn’t be. The big problem is that most times we start drives with very high expectations. When you decide you’re going to blast down and score a touchdown, and it becomes 4th & 6 at your 45 yard line, what’s the call? If your committing this fallacy you’ve already went for it. If you’re tempted to commit it, you’re punting, but again, it’s pulling teeth.

The big idea here is that punting is fine! There is no possible way you’re going to go look back and say I lost the game because of that punt. The punt actually keeps you in the game! You are putting yourself in position to give yourself a chance to win. Don’t beat yourself, you’re better then that!

“He’s gona go down and score”

This is more common with the lower-end player, but it is still a fallacy. Now here is the problem…

If you are actually warranted to believe this, and your opponent is that good on offence that he is in fact going to blow down the field and score again, and you’ve seen him do it enough times to be pretty sure of this… well sounds like you’ve lost already. Go ahead and go for it, it doesn’t matter.

The real problem is when people say this too early. It can be pretty easy to justify going for a 4th down by saying this to yourself, but you have to give your defence I chance. You simply cannot play the game with that attitude, and you’re almost certain to lose. This fallacy extends past a simple 4th down decision, this is a team wide downfall, and you have to correct it by learning to play the other phases of football.

Unless you realize the problem and take steps to improve, you’ll likely keep playing losing football, and you’ll fool yourself by thinking you lost because your offence couldn’t convert this, and couldn’t do that…

“It’s only 2 yards”

This is perhaps the most deadly and tempting fallacy of them all. The problem is that all kinds of factors play into a 4th down decision (score, game clock, quarter, yard line, what’s working and what’s not, etc…) and we tend to ignore all of this and simply make a decision based on the 4th down’s distance-to-go.

The glass is half-full in these situations, instead of half empty. The fact’s are that yes, it is a very short distance to the first down, and yes it is very likely I’ll pick it up, but the key is to also go down the road of “what if I don’t get it”. That short distance isn’t much to you, but it is massive for your opponent. You must proportion your going-for-it with all the other factors, and weigh the pros and cons.

Anything can happen on just one play. Are you willing to risk the game (potentially, or whatever the risk is) on this one play? Make sure the reward is worth the risk… and make sure you consider that risk… and don’t take it lightly. 4th and inches is still a decision!

Hope you enjoyed, and my last comment is that these are 100% my opinion that I've gathered throughout the years, and I look forward to hearing feedback. Anyone disagree? Have other fallacies? Agree?

Thanks everyone
Back to top Go down
PapaSmurf
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
PapaSmurf

4th Down Fallacies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Down Fallacies   4th Down Fallacies Empty2010-05-09, 01:00

hmm no replys? i surely thought i would =/
Back to top Go down
Madd3n Guru
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2010-04-13

4th Down Fallacies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Down Fallacies   4th Down Fallacies Empty2010-05-09, 01:17

i didnt feal like reading lol so i thought id just say what play i use on 4th n long... PUNT Smile
Back to top Go down
Oldstalecheetos
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
Oldstalecheetos

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2009-12-05

4th Down Fallacies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Down Fallacies   4th Down Fallacies Empty2010-05-09, 02:39

punt... one of the best plays in the book
Back to top Go down
XtremeWTRocker
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member
XtremeWTRocker

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2010-03-31

4th Down Fallacies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Down Fallacies   4th Down Fallacies Empty2010-05-09, 03:04

i use max cover punt to be exact. never been blocked. and i dont think i can truly be blocked unless i decide to let the meter go all the way down, which is not in my best interest (:
Back to top Go down
PeytonMvPManning
Madden Advisor
Madden Advisor
PeytonMvPManning

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-02-09

4th Down Fallacies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Down Fallacies   4th Down Fallacies Empty2010-05-09, 10:44

When going for it on 4th it all depends on my opponent. If im facing some1 good ill will go for it on about anything thats 4th and 3 and under. If im facing some1 thats not so good i will probly go for it almost everytime unless its a crazy amount. Now if im facing some1 elite i will most likely punt it most of the time because i dont want the elite player to have that field posistion
Back to top Go down
PapaSmurf
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
PapaSmurf

4th Down Fallacies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Down Fallacies   4th Down Fallacies Empty2010-05-09, 15:55

yea im the same way mvp.. it also matters where u r on the field
Back to top Go down
wayne019
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
wayne019

Number of posts : 1179
Registration date : 2008-12-26

4th Down Fallacies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Down Fallacies   4th Down Fallacies Empty2010-05-09, 16:06

i have always been saying he will go down and score
Back to top Go down
chrisc2006
Madden School Veteran
Madden School Veteran

Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2008-06-14

4th Down Fallacies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Down Fallacies   4th Down Fallacies Empty2010-05-09, 17:45

ATL4life727 wrote:
Hope you enjoyed, and my last comment is that these are 100% my opinion that I've gathered throughout the years, and I look forward to hearing feedback. Anyone disagree? Have other fallacies? Agree?

Thanks everyone

Copy + Paste
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

4th Down Fallacies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Down Fallacies   4th Down Fallacies Empty

Back to top Go down

4th Down Fallacies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips :: Madden NFL 11 :: Madden General Talk-
Jump to: