Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesHomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Please Register On Our New Forums
All post counts will be trasfered, please re-register with your current username. 
This forum will be shut down soon!
Any posts made on this forum from now on will not be taken with us to the new forums!

to squib or not to squib

Go down 
+12
MiamiXCanes
THiZzLeWiZzLe
IBLEEDGREEN32117
Modrewgnu
dr806
Oldstalecheetos
so much swag
allain43
Madden's Finest 200
wayne019
killem2012
B-__-R-__-B
16 posters
AuthorMessage
B-__-R-__-B
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
B-__-R-__-B

Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2010-01-07

to squib or not to squib Empty
PostSubject: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-06, 14:43

okay so i get mixed feeling and views from people on squibing the ball on kickoffs, ive done this pretty much since the game was released, some say its cheap and you shouldnt do it, other say its simply a tactic that can be very usefull if you do it right, this is how i see it, if i had a kicker like the boys or panthers kicker who could just boot it to the back or out of the endzone i would just do tha but david akers barely makes it to the goaline, this is why i squib whith the eagles cuz i dont have a guy that can blow it out of the endzone, if i did i would, so i see it like this, if you have the ability to put it in the back of endzone i say do it, if you have a guy that has a noodle for a leg i say squib it. lemme know your guys opinions and thoughts on the matter cuz as we all know special teams are 1/3 of the game.
Back to top Go down
killem2012
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-04-28

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-07, 09:34

if the person u playing is returning kicks/punts 4 good gains ; by all means squib it on kickoffs and kick it out of bounds on punts itz about field position to squib or not to squib Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
http://killem2012@gmail.com
wayne019
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
wayne019

Number of posts : 1179
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-07, 09:46

if you kick it right you will more than likely get the ball back
Back to top Go down
Madden's Finest 200
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-07, 13:31

I hate people that squib and squibbing in general. No disrespect, but if you don't have confidence in your stick skill to tackle a guy inside the 30 than you need to lab it up. Call me stupid, but i'd rather have a guy return a kick for a TD 1/5 times, than to have him get the ball at the 40 or higher 5/5 times, but thats just me.
Back to top Go down
B-__-R-__-B
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
B-__-R-__-B

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-07, 13:47

its not that i dont have confidence in my stick skills beacuse i do, its just that akers cant get it into the endzone alot of times and its by the time i egage his blockers he's already to the 25 and ends up at the 30-35 yard line if i could put it further kick the ball further i might have a chance at getting him at the 25 but its hard when your kicker doesnt have a huge leg, thats why i opt to squib cuz ive gotten it down pretty much i can get it to bounce around or just sit on the field either way most of the time my OPP. starts drives off at the 20-25 yard line, i dont think squibing shows a lack of stick skill, cuz either way you still gotta bob and weave your way down to the returner, i dont always squib, but alot of the time i do, if i had a kicker that had a big leg i would kick it normal but i dont so i have to improvise.
Back to top Go down
allain43
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member
allain43

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2010-03-05

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-07, 16:14

I have to agree with BRB on this one if your kicker has a crap leg then go for it but it doesnt bother me at all in general that some people do it every kickoff.
Back to top Go down
so much swag
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
so much swag

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-07, 18:16

YEAH!!! i AGREE WITH ALLIAN43..sh!t push come to shove,do the same thing that's all ...or go practice it so you can do it..
Back to top Go down
Oldstalecheetos
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
Oldstalecheetos

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-07, 18:55

i find covering kickoffs is easiest if you click on to someone else right after the kick, and user them to the return man... always remember to never break contain... meaning, if you dont make the tackle, funnel them toward hte middle of hte field... if you give them the outside, your gonna be in a big hole... squib kicks are great with like 20-30 seconds to go in a half, and you dont want to risk a return (especially with hester/ jones / jackson sitting there, they make the greased up deaf guy from family guy look silly) and would rather play coverage... however, i dont like how sometimes when you squib the return man looks at hte ball pass him, and does nothing to get it... come on man, get the damn ball.... thats my piece...
Back to top Go down
B-__-R-__-B
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
B-__-R-__-B

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-07, 22:28

another reason i like squibing is cuz right when akers kicks it i click off of him and onto joe mays (88 hit power) who is right next to david, if he gets blocked i can again switch over and i have sean jones (88 hit power) having these two guys on my kick off teams has earned me alot of big hits and fumbles on kick offs, when i kick it normal it will go to the outside guys and i cant get control of mays or jones consistently, the returners just looking at the ball is a bit rediculous but easily countered, what i do is controll the guy in fron of my retrun man and use him to try and manually pick up the squib if he passes it ill click to my primary return man and try to get it from there, im not against people that squib, i just look at it as a tactic, high risk, high reward type deal.
Back to top Go down
dr806
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-08, 02:00

ive gotten pretty good at squibbing, on rare occasions if you kick it just right you can sometimes get the ball back.....i usually get them down at the the 20 or 30 which is pretty damn good...it seems to catch sum ppl off guard and i love it when they get on the mic and say im cheating haha
Back to top Go down
Modrewgnu
Administrator
Administrator
Modrewgnu

Number of posts : 3253
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-08, 02:01

I don't think the squib is cheap at all. It's just a safe strategy. Instead of giving up a small or huge kickoff return on a regular kickoff, you give up a medium kickoff return every time. It's just playing it safe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.forum.madden-school.com
B-__-R-__-B
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
B-__-R-__-B

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-08, 02:04

yeah ive gotten so i can get them around the 20 yard line its really nice not to mention its easier to line people up on it, but since i dont have a guy with a huge leg i will continue to squib.
Back to top Go down
IBLEEDGREEN32117
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member
IBLEEDGREEN32117

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-13, 13:50

B-__-R-__-B wrote:
yeah ive gotten so i can get them around the 20 yard line its really nice not to mention its easier to line people up on it, but since i dont have a guy with a huge leg i will continue to squib.

i know im kinda off topic, but do you make your own sigs? Becuz the one you have know is pretty good!
Back to top Go down
THiZzLeWiZzLe
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
THiZzLeWiZzLe

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-13, 14:20

i kick regualr on the 1st kickoffs but if seeing his return skills lets me know if i need to squib again
Back to top Go down
B-__-R-__-B
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
B-__-R-__-B

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-13, 23:37

IBLEEDGREEN32117 wrote:
B-__-R-__-B wrote:

i know im kinda off topic, but do you make your own sigs? Becuz the one you have know is pretty good!

to andswer your question IBLEEDGREEN32117 i do make my own signatures, you should PM me if you have any questions about them.

to stay on topic though i have noticed that if you hit a couple good squibs the rest of the squibs usually follow suite, if you hit a few bad ones the rest alot of the time are bad as well, for me at least.
Back to top Go down
wayne019
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
wayne019

Number of posts : 1179
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-13, 23:51

squib whats the worst that can happen? good coverage still so when he picks up the ball guys are around him
Back to top Go down
MiamiXCanes
Madden Writers
Madden Writers

Number of posts : 1661
Registration date : 2009-09-14

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-14, 00:30

yeah im with ish on this one. id rather give up a return 1/5 then put the dude on the 40-45-50 5/5 times. if you pick the packers (mason crosby has 99 kick power) and your playing somebody who squibs it every time. now lets say you get to the 40 each time. 15 yards and your in FG range with no wind. thats to easy to put up points and i dont want to give somebody that easy of a shot at points
Back to top Go down
Moore's Pats
All-Pro MS Member
All-Pro MS Member
Moore's Pats

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2009-08-25

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-14, 00:59

If it works 4 u man keep doing it
Back to top Go down
Big Hungry 702
Madden School Veteran
Madden School Veteran
Big Hungry 702

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2009-07-25

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-14, 01:16

im not against squib kicks cause if its late in the game and the guys has been murking you on the special teams side, by ALL means squib it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/surrenderthebooty69
saintsboy318
Rookie MS Member
Rookie MS Member

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2010-01-18

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-14, 10:06

I think a squib should depend more on who you're kicking 2. Harvin, Desean, Hester, sproles, Bush, and a few others deserve to be squib kicked against. It can be the difference in the game.
Back to top Go down
Madden's Finest 200
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-14, 10:46

MiamiXCanes wrote:
yeah im with ish on this one. id rather give up a return 1/5 then put the dude on the 40-45-50 5/5 times. if you pick the packers (mason crosby has 99 kick power) and your playing somebody who squibs it every time. now lets say you get to the 40 each time. 15 yards and your in FG range with no wind. thats to easy to put up points and i dont want to give somebody that easy of a shot at points
exactly. I don't care who is returning the ball. I'd rather give up a return 1/5 times, then let them start their drive around the 40-45 yard line. Also, i have confidence in my stick that i can stop the return. If you're playing madden scared, then that's a problem.
Back to top Go down
B-__-R-__-B
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
B-__-R-__-B

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-14, 11:27

what if you could hit it at the 20-25 yard line a majority of the time and only allow it to go out of bounds 1/5 times? it does take skill to go down and cover a squib, its not like you automatically kick it out of bounds or they get a good return, when i squib it 1/5 times the drives start out around the 40, the squib also allows you to line people up on kickoff easier wich is another turnover opportunity, akers hardly ever gets it deep enough into the enzone to be effective so at the minimum the returner gets to the 25-30 yard line and plus that if he's a good return man i just feel more comfortable squibing, but to each his own both styles of kicking have thier advantages and disadvantages.
Back to top Go down
MiamiXCanes
Madden Writers
Madden Writers

Number of posts : 1661
Registration date : 2009-09-14

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-14, 14:25

i kick it deep every time. and i also user my kicker and get him around the blocks. you get your other 10 players running there lanes (perfect contain) and you also get the kicker down the field (he normaly stays back or runs crazy slow). i havent given up a return in forever doing this
Back to top Go down
B-__-R-__-B
Hall of Fame MS Member
Hall of Fame MS Member
B-__-R-__-B

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-14, 14:42

then i deffinetly cant knock you for it! if its workin keep doin it, i guess my advice to everyone would be do what works best for you, for me its squibing, for miami its regular kicking both are effective if executed properly, im gonna try your way a few times though miami.
Back to top Go down
bp_brien
New MS Member
New MS Member

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-09-27

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty2010-05-14, 14:47

i do it occasionaly, but it is normally to shut down the elite KR who has burned me once or twice
user tackling is one of my weaknesses and i work on it, but part of madden is also knowing your weaknesses and adapting
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: to squib or not to squib   to squib or not to squib Empty

Back to top Go down

to squib or not to squib
Page 1 of 1