Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesHomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Please Register On Our New Forums
All post counts will be trasfered, please re-register with your current username. 
This forum will be shut down soon!
Any posts made on this forum from now on will not be taken with us to the new forums!

Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
EggzOverEazy
Administrator
Administrator
EggzOverEazy

Number of posts : 3158
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves? Empty
PostSubject: Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves?   Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves? Empty2009-09-23, 12:22

ok baseball fellas, riddle me that.

i mean, i ASSUME theyre just talking s***, and they dont want to come off as douche bags (cuz, like, i know that people hate Joba for getting hype). cuz i see people striking dudes out, then they bring their glove to their face.

i know NFL coaches cover their mouths with their play call sheets so that the opposition can't see what they're saying, but i know those pitchers don't have headsets so its not like anyone can hear them.

in my head, theyre bring their gloves up to cover themselves so they can say "FUCK YEAH ******!", but maybe im wrong.
Back to top Go down
bigbuddah
Legend MS Member
Legend MS Member
bigbuddah

Number of posts : 2949
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves?   Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves? Empty2009-09-23, 12:25

yeah i see this too and i dnt get it even wen the catcher comes to the mound they do that also wtf's up?

yall kno i hate baseball right? jus throwin that out there IT SUCKS!!!
Back to top Go down
EggzOverEazy
Administrator
Administrator
EggzOverEazy

PostSubject: Re: Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves?   Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves? Empty2009-09-23, 12:27

hahaha yeah i see that s***, too. i mean when theyre having conversations on the mound, i understand they dont always want people knowing what theyre saying, but they do it all the time.
Back to top Go down
2ToN
2ToN

Number of posts : 1147
Registration date : 2009-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves?   Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves? Empty2009-09-30, 18:06

theyre racists obviously
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/360gaunts
jsmall28
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves?   Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves? Empty2009-09-30, 19:31

i think you're right, they don't want to come off as taunting. maybe it's just one of those age-old baseball traditions, like retaliating to a HBP with another one. doesn't make sense to me, just putting people in danger...
Back to top Go down
BOSTN BEANER
Exclusive Member
Exclusive Member
BOSTN BEANER

Number of posts : 2328
Registration date : 2008-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves?   Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves? Empty2009-09-30, 20:24

Pitchers and catchers are like coaches on the field they have a strategy on what pitches the batter swings and misses at more often and what counts they strike out on more often then not.. They also know what pitch on every count the batter grounds in to double plays if they need a ground ball double play and when a catcher goes to the mound its usually communication between what pitch should be thrown.. Sometimes they forget something and they gota talk it over... They cover their mouths cuz batters and people on the bench including managers and bench coaches are trying to read their lips to get what pitch is coming or location of where they want to throw the pitch... Sometimes they talk about their release point of the ball, if the pitchers mechanics are out of wack they lose velocity or location and the catchers job is to recognize it and let the pitcher know so he can make adjustments before the game gets out of hand.. Batters are always focuzed on the pitcher trying to get tips on pitches, locations, and their mechanical problems they are having... Anything to get an edge and they can't get it when the pitcher covers his mouth with his glove...
Back to top Go down
http://zebragamer.com/forums/register.php?referrerid=11
bigbuddah
Legend MS Member
Legend MS Member
bigbuddah

Number of posts : 2949
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves?   Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves? Empty2009-09-30, 20:53

Now that makes a lot of sense...but at the same time I think its querky baseball tradition because batters have to hit off a pitcher its pretty much 1 on 1...most the time I see the catcher talkin and the pitchers jus nodding they head but I can see that being the reason

From G1
Back to top Go down
EggzOverEazy
Administrator
Administrator
EggzOverEazy

PostSubject: Re: Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves?   Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves? Empty2009-09-30, 21:35

good s***, Boston, good s***
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves?   Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why do pitchers cover their mouths with their gloves?
Page 1 of 1