Madden 11 Forums | Madden 2011 Tips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesHomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Please Register On Our New Forums
All post counts will be trasfered, please re-register with your current username. 
This forum will be shut down soon!
Any posts made on this forum from now on will not be taken with us to the new forums!

Offensive and Defensive Line play

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CapnCrunch
Veteran MS Member
Veteran MS Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2009-09-23

Offensive and Defensive Line play Empty
PostSubject: Offensive and Defensive Line play   Offensive and Defensive Line play Empty2009-10-12, 12:06

This article is designed to show how the AI handles the offensive and defensive line play in running and passing situations. Please excuse format and typing errors, I am using a phone for this.

First I will cover the definitions as I see them because the ones I have found are ambiguous. Then some of my observations.

Defensive Line:
Power Moves: these would be a Bull Rush or Chuck or similar type moves. In Madden 10 they are effective against the run.
Finesse Moves: this is the swim move and spin move and those types of moves. In Madden 10 they are effective against the pass.
Block Shedding: this is how easily you can disengage from a block thrown by the opposition

Offensive Line:
Run Block Strength (RBS): Run blocking versus block shedding, and how long you can hold a block or stay engaged.
Run block Footwork (RBF): run blocking versus Power Move and which direction you are blocking. Good footwork blocks away from a runner and seals off the defender.
Pass Block Strength (PBS): Pass blocking versus Block Shedding and how well you stay engaged to a rusher.
Pass Block Footwork (PBF): Pass blocking versus Finnesse Move and which direction you push and get in front of a rusher.

Impact Blocking is your pancake type block and is used more in the open field and not on the line, however it is important on screen passes and similar plays where an offensive lineman rolls out in front of a screen.

Strength, from what I can tell has little value in offensive and defensive line play. I am not talking about Run Block Strength or Pass Block Strength but just the strength attribute next to speed on the player detail page.

Tackle is self explanatory.

Hit Power is good for causing fumbles and injury and other than that should be self explanatory.

The reason I was interested in this topic was that I noticed Albert Haynesworth was very ineffective against the Cowboys. The reason is I mostly run in the A gap right next to him but in that situation he is matched up against Leonard Davis. So when running, Leonard Davis's great RBS and RBF held in check Alberts great Power Moves and in passing situations Albert did not have adequate Finesse Moves to get past Leonards average Pass Block Footwork as well as his Pass Block Strength.

So I moved on to Dwight Freeney, a well known spin move expert. Well in my investigation I never saw him do a spin move, however, his Finesse Moves were still so good he was always the first to the pocket, in pass rush situations. Then I moved on to the Steelers James Harrison he has both great Power Moves and Finesse Moves and exceled in both running and passing situations. His teammates did have some problems in passing situations ie.. Finesse Moves, though. I checked several other players as well.

Well, what does it all mean. Knowing your players strengths versus your opponents weaknesses can be a huge asset. If you cannot run well then examine your Offensive Line and make sure you are running into the holes that are best for your team. I can tell you the A Gap between Leonard Davis and Andre Gurod is a great place to run and if they load an MLB blitz there then bring your TE or OT sub in motion to block the blitzing MLB and still use that hole. If your not getting enough time to pass then you might want to check some of these attributes vs the opposition.

And lastly it appears to me that Run Block Strength and Run Block Footwork are very closely tied together. Yes you want to push the opponent away from the run RBF but just as important is to stay engaged to the opponent RBS. As well Pass Block Strength and Pass Block footwork are tied together, you wouldn't want to block the defender right into the pocket would you, then you need good footwork.

On the Defensive Line side if your man has good Power Moves he will do well against the run. If he has good Finesse Moves he will do well rushing the passer. I did not see a big tie in to block shedding. But those are just my observations.

Peace, love, football
CapnCrunch

Last edited by CapnCrunch on 2009-10-13, 05:27; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
Back to top Go down

Offensive and Defensive Line play
Page 1 of 1